Page images

subjects, and was the author of a "Life of Martin Van Buren."

Mr. Shepard was never married and cared but little for society, although enjoying keenly the companionship of his intimate friends, but found his recreation and delight chiefly in his library and his country home.

Mr. Shepard was a director in numerous railway and industrial corporations, and a trustee of the Packer Collegiate Institute, as well as the College of the City of New York, beside other educational and benevolent institutions. He was a member of the Hamilton and University Clubs of Brooklyn, and of the Century, University, Reform, Authors and Alpha Delta Phi Clubs of Manhattan.

As a lawyer, Mr. Shepard was studious, thorough, conscientious, broadminded and efficient. To every problem he applied without reserve the accumulated results of training and experience, and a judgment that was calm and wise. His conspicuous qualities of mind and character placed him in the first rank among his professional brethren of the State and the country, and his public spirit and strong democratic principles made him not only eminent and useful in the communities in which he lived and worked, but an example of the highest type of citizenship. He thus came to hold a unique position in this State, and his death has made a gap in the profession which cannot be precisely, nor, it should seem, adequately filled.


George H. Stevens, a member of the Albany Bar, died May 25, 1911.

He had been for many years an active practitioner, recognized by Judges and lawyers as a man fully equipped, controlled by the best motives, and of the highest professional

and personal integrity. He was by birth an Albanian, prepared in its schools for college, a graduate of the Albany Academy in 1868, he entered a classical student in the Class of 1872 at Rutgers College, from which he graduated in due course with honors conferred because of his excellence in scholarship.

He entered immediately as a law student, and shortly after his graduation he became Assistant District Attorney of Albany county, under Hon. John M. Bailey.

His interest in and loyalty to the city of his home called him easily to his activity in public affairs and institutional work. Prominent in the Republican party, he became Deputy Attorney-General of this State, where he gave marked evidence of his well-grounded fundamental knowledge of the law.

For several years he suffered from an illness which in the end became fatal, and which kept him out of the activities of the Court.

This long illness he bore with resignation, and maintained his pleasing and hopeful spirit to the end.

His son, Ogden Stevens, is a member of the Albany Bar in active practice.

His widow, who survives him, was Miss Ogden, of Albany.


J. Edward Swanstrom, born in Brooklyn, July 26, 1853, died in Brooklyn, February 15, 1911.

Mr. Swanstrom was one of the most active of the public men of Greater New York and his influence was felt in almost every part of the governmental system of the city.

He was a self-made man in the accepted meaning of the term, inheriting from his father merely the desire to be helpful in his community. John P. Swanstrom, the

elder, came to this country with John Ericcson in 1840, the former beginning missionary work among the Swedish people of Brooklyn and becoming beloved by his people who erected a monument to his memory when he died a distinction which befell his fellow voyager Ericcson. J. Edward Swanstrom could receive no financial aid from his father who made little and spent what he made on his poor proteges.

The young Swanstrom worked and fought his own. way through the public schools, graduating from "Old Fifteen" for which he afterward showed his affection when he became head of the educational system of the city. He worked his way through the University of New York, graduating with highest honors in 1878, and using the cash prize of $200 with which to marry Frances Harris, a beautiful girl of his boyhood neighborhood. He entered at once into the practice of law, having served three years in the law office of Miller, Peet and Opdyke in New York, taking his office in the same building at 20 Nassau street where it remained through his career.

He was almost immediately successful, his interest in the political affairs of his community and his independent stand gaining him instant recognition and several very successful cases establishing his legal reputation. He fought for independence of the schools from politics and became president of the Brooklyn Board of Education, inaugurating many important reforms in the school system retained to this day. When consolidation created a central board for the city he became vice-president and then president, and by his powers of persuasion defeated the intention of bringing to New York a Western man as superintendent, electing instead the present city superintendent, William J. Maxwell, then superintendent of Brooklyn schools.

The combination of Republicans and all independent political and civic reform organizations against Tammany Hall in 1901 selected Seth Low for Mayor, but in Brooklyn harmony was not secured until the name of Swanstrom was suggested as a compromise. He was nominated and in two years accomplished more in improvements for Brooklyn than had been achieved in any previous six years. He reorganized and organized the entire borough administrative departments under the new charter that gave enlarged powers to the borough presidents.

When the Equitable Life Insurance Company asked Grover Cleveland to reorganize its management, J. Edward Swanstrom became the new director of the company for Brooklyn. Up to the time of his death Mr. Swanstrom maintained his active interest in all public affairs, being president of several civic bodies in Brooklyn and a member of practically every civic and social club or committee of prominence in the borough.

At his death a committee was formed with Mayor Gaynor as its chairman, and memorial services were held. in the Borough Hall. A sub-committee under Borough President Steers of Brooklyn received funds for the erection of a memorial tablet to be erected in Borough Hall. Mr. Swanstrom left a wife, Francis, a daughter, Ada and son Arthur.


General Henry Edwin Tremain, whose membership in this Association dates from 1883, died in the City of New York on December 9, 1910.

General Tremain was born in the City of New York November 14, 1840, the son of Edwin R. Tremain.

He was graduated from the College of the City of New York in 1860 and the same year entered Columbia Law School, but in the following year abandoned for the time his law studies to join the Union Army. Re-entering the law school after the Civil War, he was graduated with the degree of LL. B. in 1867.

Meanwhile, he had had a remarkable military career. Enlisting as a private in the Seventh New York Regiment April 17, 1861, he served with that regiment in its first brief campaign, and soon after, with his brother, recruited a company in New York City and went to the front as first lieutenant in the Second Regiment of Fire Zouaves, known also as the Seventy-third New York Volunteers, which was attached to the famous Excelsior Zouaves. He served in the line and as adjutant of the regiment until April, 1862, when, at the siege of Yorktown, he was promoted to the staff of General Nelson Taylor, then commanding the Excelsior Brigade. Serving through the Peninsular campaign, he was in all the principal engagements before Richmond, and afterward in the battles of General Pope's campaign, ending with the second battle of Bull Run, where he was taken prisoner. After confinement in Libby Prison, he was first released on parole and then exchanged, and being made a captain returned to duty as assistant inspector-general on the staff of General Sickles, then commanding the second division of the Third Army Corps. In this capacity he served in the battles of Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, and being recommended for brevet at the battle of Chancellorsville, was promoted to the rank of major April 25, 1863. He was senior aide for the Third Army Corps at Gettysburg, and aide to General Butterfield at Chattanooga in 1864, and took part in important engagements in Georgia, and for distinguished

« PreviousContinue »