Page images


MRS. EDWARD DAVEY, of Alwalton, near Peterborough, was born at South-Luffenham, Rutland, October, 1826. When she was an infant, her father, Mr. Godfrey Jelley, removed to Elton, Huntingdonshire; and at this place she spent her childhood and youth. Blessed with pious parents, early religious instruction and the gracious influences of a godly home, she earnestly sought the Lord when nine years of age. She was convinced of her need of a Saviour by a remark made to her by her father. That conviction she communicated to her elder sister, who had already found peace with God. The two sisters retired to pray together several times during the day, and at night they again pleaded with God, until the younger, too, could rejoice in Christ as her Saviour. The new spiritual life then commenced, which in after years ripened into mature Christian experience and practice. At the age of twelve, she became a member of the Congregational Church at Oundle, where her father was a Deacon for many years. During her school-life her religious principles were much tested. Sometimes she was discouraged, though generally hopeful and happy in God her Saviour. Her private diary, written when she was at school, gives evidence of her inner life. She was greatly encouraged and stimulated in her religious course by the letters she received from home.

At the close of her school-education, she returned home with increased grace and enlarged experience in the things of God. She readily found employment for both mind and body in the domestic affairs of a large household; and it was no hardship, but a great pleasure to her, to pursue a course of industry and usefulness in temporal things. But religion was to her the one thing needful.' She delighted in secret communion with God. And she was not unmindful of the claims of others. She cheerfully consecrated her services to the Lord, seeking to do good both in the Church and the world. For several years she was a teacher in the Congregational Sabbath-school, labouring with punctuality and fidelity. The school was five miles from her father's house, and she sometimes walked the whole distance on a Sabbath morning, in order to be present in her class when the duties of the school commenced. She was also a tract-distributor for many years, and her frequent visits to the cottages of the poor were greatly appreciated. She was

encouraged by the gratitude, respect and affection of many, and cheered by the permanent spiritual results she was allowed to witness.

In 1853, she was married to Mr. Edward Davey, and went to reside at Alwalton. That she might enjoy the advantages resulting from the 'communion of saints,' she joined the Wesleyan-Methodist Society, of which her husband was a member. In her efforts to promote the temporal and spiritual welfare of those around her, the young were not overlooked. To her exertions and influence mainly must be attributed the establishment of what soon became a very prosperous Sabbath-school. Her visits to the aged, sick and poor, accompanied with religious instruction, exhortation and prayer, were highly esteemed. She was elected to the office of Class Leader. That position of honour and trust she maintained for seven years, discharging its duties with faithfulness to God and acceptance to His people.

She was a devoted and an affectionate wife. She dearly loved her children, and laboured with unwearied assiduity and unceasing prayerfulness to train them up in the way they should go. And great was the gladness she experienced when her children, in early life, willingly consecrated their lives to God.

On the last Sunday she spent on earth she attended twice the public service in the chapel, and was also present at her Class, though in a feeble state of health. The following Wednesday, while walking with her husband in the garden, she complained of pain in her side and shortness of breath. In a little while her condition assumed a very serious aspect. Medical aid was without avail. She conversed with those around her; speaking of her own salvation by faith, and exhorting them to follow her to the Saviour's presence. Her trust in Christ was unshaken; her hope of heaven was firm, and her peace and comfort were undisturbed. She suffered little and enjoyed much. In the after-part of the next day, the tide of life ebbed out quietly, but quickly. Towards the last, when the power of speech had almost forsaken her, she pointed upwards and made mention of the blood-the precious blood of Christ,' by which she was redeemed and made meet for heaven. With collected mind, and with glad and tranquil spirit, she fell asleep in Jesus, August 16th, 1877.

J. D


[graphic][merged small][merged small][merged small]


JUNE, 1881.



(Concluded from page 329.)

THE erection of a Methodist Chapel in Oxford, as a memorial of Mr. Wesley's connection with the University, which should be alike worthy of Methodism and an attraction to the increasing number of Wesleyan undergraduates, had been before the public as a Connexional scheme for four years, when, at the Conference of 1876, Mr. Maunder was appointed to that Circuit, with the Chairmanship of the District. He was then in failing health, and loving and anxious hearts trembled as they saw the heavy load upon his shoulders. They felt too surely that the burden was greater than he could bear; but it came to him as the will of Providence, and true to the guiding principle of his life, Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might, he cheerfully and bravely undertook it.


[ocr errors]

Of Oxford Methodism he wrote soon after his arrival: 'It is by far the feeblest I have ever been connected with. It needs a new chapel and much

more to raise it.'

His position was one of great difficulty. The scheme had been so long before the public that the stamp of failure seemed upon it; and, although the leading men of Methodism had been canvassed, the amount promised was utterly inadequate to warrant a start, and the sum actually received was less than three hundred pounds. Under such discouragements he commenced the task, which he pursued with untiring zeal to within a few minutes even of his death. It is, we believe, a fact that he received but one refusal to a personal application for subscriptions, at any rate in London. Notwithstanding the uncongenial character of the work which took him away from his Circuit so often, his residence at Oxford became increasingly happy. He no sooner came to know and be known by the people than several valued friendships were formed, the sincerity and depth of which were only the more emphasized by their early and sudden termination.

In May, 1878, Mr. Maunder visited Liverpool, Southport and Manchester in the interests of the Oxford Chapel Fund. In the last-named town he much overtaxed his strength. The result was great prostration, which, although not in itself serious, showed how nearly expended was his vital force. On June 7th, he returned home very unwell; but, although worn out by the journey, he went at once, without waiting to take any

refreshment, to his undergraduates' Bible-class. On the following Sunday he took his usual appointment, a distant country one, involving a drive of nearly thirty miles in an open conveyance. The day was damp and chill. This brought on a severe attack of pleurisy, complicated with his old complaints, bronchitis and asthma. The diseases seemed slowly to yield, but there was no recovery of strength. On June 21st, he attended as usual to his correspondence, and dictated a letter to the architect of the new chapel. He then fell into a quiet sleep. Those who watched by the bedside waited, thinking he sleepeth, he shall do well.' He did, indeed, 'do well.' All unheard by them, he had caught the welcome message: 'Well done, good and faithful servant:.... enter thou into the joy of thy Lord.'

.There was no last word of love,

So suddenly on us the sorrow fell;
His bright translation to the home above
Was clouded with no shadow of farewell.'

With devout submissiveness to the stroke of Divine love, his widow prepared to carry the cross of her stricken life. But it was not to be for long; there had wanted but one more sacrifice, one more 'Thy will be done,' to perfect a beautiful life, and then to her also came the message : 'The Master calleth for thee.' Quiet and self-controlled, in tender mercy not permitted fully to realize her loss, she left the scene of her great trial, and made a temporary home with her eldest son at Croydon. After six weeks' separation the summons came. For four days the last enemy was suffered cruelly to torture the frail body; but the calm of the meek and trustful spirit he could not ruffle. One long last farewell look of love was given to the watchers round the bed, and the trial was over, the work was ended, and the spirit was for ever at rest.

We bless Thy holy Name for these Thy servants departed this life in Thy faith and fear.

It would, perhaps, be difficult to summarize the character of George Maunder more briefly and accurately than by saying that he was an almost typical Methodist Preacher. Possessing neither great learning nor conspicuous eloquence, lacking the readiness necessary for debate, and held back by a diffidence which only the call of duty could overmaster, he never took quite that rank among his brethren which his remarkable tact, shrewdness and wisdom would have justified. It was as a Circuit Minister that he excelled the faithful Preacher, the devoted, untiring Pastor. His consecration to his work as a Christian Minister was supreme. His watchword ever seemed to be duty, but the motive-power was love. His conscientiousness was evinced by his carefulness in small matters, while no task was too heavy for his energy, no detail of his work was too trivial for his attention. He had studied human life in its manifold aspects, and be carefully observed the ever-changing influences which were at work to


« PreviousContinue »