« PreviousContinue »
“ Then said Boaz unto Ruth, Hearest thou not, my daughter? Go not to glean
in another field, neither go from hence, but abide here fast by my maidens." -Ruth, CHAP. II. VER. 8.
people which thou knewest not heretofore. seek rest for thee, that it may be well with
12. The LORD recompense thy work, and thee? a full reward be given thee of the LORD 2. And now is not Boaz of our kindred,with God of Israel, under whose wings thou art whose maidens thou wast ? behold, he wincome to trust.
noweth barley to-night in the threshing-floor. 13. Then she said, Let me find favour in 3. Wash thysell
, therefore, and anoint thy sight, my lord; for that thou hast com- thee, and put thy raiment upon thee, and forted me, and for that thou hast spoken get thee down to the floor: but make not friendly unto thine handmaid, though I be thyself known unto the man, until he shall not like unto one of thine handmaidens. have done eating and drinking.
14. And Boaz said unto her, At meal-time 4. And it shall be, when he lieth down, come thou hither, and eat of the bread, and that thou shalt mark the place where he dip thy morsel in the vinegar. And she sat shall lie, and thou shalt go in, and uncover beside the reapers: and he reached her his feet, and lay thee down; and he will tell parched corn, and she did eat, and was suf- thee what thou shalt do. ficed, and left.
5. And she said unto her, All that thou 15. And when she was risen up to glean, sayest unto me I will do. Boaz commanded his young men, saying, 6. And she went down unto the floor, and Let her glean even among the sheaves, and did according to all that her mother-in-law reproach her not:
bade her. 16. And let fall also some of the handfuls 7. And when Boaz had eaten and drunk, of purpose for her, and leave them, that she and his heart was merry, he went to lie may glean them, and rebuke her not. down at the end of the heap of corn: and
17. So she gleaned in the field until even, she came softly, and uncovered his feet, and and beat out that she had gleaned: and it laid her down. was about an ephah of barley.
8. And it came to pass, at midnight, that 18. And she took it up, and went into the man was afraid, and turned himself ; the city; and her mother-in-law saw what and, behold, a woman lay at his feet. she had gleaned: and she brought forth, and 9. And he said, Who art thou? And gave to her that she had reserved after she she answered, I am Ruth thine handmaid ;, was sufficed.
spread therefore thy skirt over thine hand19. And her mother-in-law said unto maid; for thou art a near kinsman. her, Where hast thou gleaned to-day? and 10. And he said, Blessed be thou of the where wroughtest thou? blessed be he that Lord, my daughter; for thou hast showed did take knowledge of thee. And she show-more kindness in the latter end than at the ed her mother-in-law with whom she had beginning, inasmuch as thou followedst not wrought, and said, The man's name with young men, whether poor or rich. whom I wrought to-day is Boaz.
11. And now, my daughter, fear not; J 20. And Naomi said unto her daughter-in- will do thee all that thou requirest: for all law, Blessed be he of the Lord, who hath not the city of my people doth know that thou left off his kindness to the living and to the art a virtuous woman. dead. And Naomi said unto her, The man is 12. And now, it is true that I am thy near of kin unto us, one of our next kinsmen. near kinsman: howbeit, there is a kinsman
21. And Ruth the Moabitess said, He nearer than I. said unto me also, Thou shalt keep fast by 13. Tarry this night, and it shall be in the my young men, until they have ended all morning, that if he will perform unto thee my harvest.
the part of a kinsman, well ; let him do the 22. And Naomi said unto Ruth her daugh- kinsman's part: but if he will not do the part ter-in-law, It is good, my daughter, that thou of a kinsman to thee, then will I do the part go out with his maidens, that they meet thee of a kinsman to thee, as the LORD liveth: not in any other field.
lie down until the morning. 23. So she kept fast by the maidens of 14. And she lay at his feet until the mornBoaz to glean unto the end of barley-har- ing; and she rose up before one could know vest, and of wheat-harvest; and dwelt with another. And he said, Let it not be known her mother-in-law.
that a woman came into the floor.
15. Also he said, Bring the vail that thou CHAP. III.
hast upon thee, and hold it. And when she 1 By Naomi's instruction, 5 Ruth lieth at Boaz’s feet.
held it, he measured six measures of barley, 1. WHEN Naomi her mother-in-law said and laid it on her: and she went into the unto her, My daughter, shall I not I city.
16. And when she came to her mother-in-| unto all the people, Ye are witnesses this law,she said, Whoart thou, my daughter?And day that I have bought all that was Elimeshe told her all that the man had done to her. lech's, and all that was Chilion's and Mah
17. And she said, These six measures of lon's, of the hand of Naomi. barley gave he me; for he said to me, Go 10. Moreover, Ruth the Moabitess, the wise not empty unto thy mother-in-law.
of Mahlon, have I purchased to be my wife, 18. Then said she, Sit still, my daughter, to raise up the name of the dead upon his inheuntil thou know how the matter will fall : ritance, that the name of the dead be not cut for the man will not be in rest, until he have off from among his brethren, and from the finished the thing this day.
gate of his place: ye are witnesses this day. CHAP. IV.
11. And all the people that were in the Boaz calleth into judgment the next kinsman. gate, and the elders, said, We are witnesses. 1. THEN went Boaz up to the gate, The LORD make the woman that is come
and sat him down there: and, be into thine house like Rachel and like Leah, hold, the kinsman of whom Boaz spake, which two did build the house of Israel : came by: unto whom he said, Ho, such a and do thou worthily in Ephratah, and be one! turn aside, sit down here. And he famous in Beth-lehem : turned aside, and sat down.
12. And let thy house be like the house 2. And he took ten men of the elders of of Pharez, (whom Tamar bare unto Judah, the city, and said, Sit ye down here. And of the seed which the LORD shall give thee they sat down.
of this young woman. 3. And he said unto the kinsman, Naomi, 13. So Boaz took Ruth,and she was his wife: that is come again out of the country of and, when he went in unto her, the LORD Moab, selleth a parcel of land, which was gave her conception, and she bare a son. our brother Elimelech's :
14. And the women said unto Naomi, 4. And I thought to advertise thee, saying, Blessed be the LORD, which hath not left Buy it before the inhabitants, and before the thee this day without a kinsman, that his, elders of my people. If thou wilt redeem name may be famous in Israel. it, redeem it ; but if thou wilt not redeem 15. And he shall be unto thee a restorer it, then tell me, that I may know: for there of thy life, and a nourisher of thine old age: is none to redeem it besides thee; and I am for thy daughter-in-law which loveth thee, after thee. And he said, I will redeem it. which is better to thee than seven sons, hath
5. Then said Boaz, What dạy thou buy-borne him. est the field of the hand of Naomi, thou 16. And Naomi took the child, and laid must buy it also of Ruth the Moabitess, the it in her bosom, and became nurse unto it. wife of the dead, to raise up the name of the 17. And the women her neighbours gave dead upon his inheritance.
it a name, saying, There is a son born to 6. And the kinsman said, I cannot re- Naomi; and they called his name Obed: he deem it for myself, lest I mar mine own in- is the father of Jesse, the father of David. heritance: redeem thou my right to thyself; 13. 1 Now these are the generations of for I cannot redeem it.
Pharez: Pharez begat Hezron, 7. Now this was the manner in former time 19. And Hezron begat Ram, and Ram in Israel, concerning redeeming, and concern-begat Amminadab, ing changing, for to confirm all things; A 20. And Amminadab begat Nahshon, man plucked off his shoe, and gave it to his and Nabshon begat Salmon, neighbour: and this was a testimony in Israel. 21. And Salmon begat Boaz, and Boaz
8. Therefore the kinsman said unto Boaz, begat Obed, Buy it for thee: So he drew off his shoe. 22. And Obed begat Jesse, and Jesse be
9. And Boaz said unto the elders, and I gat David.
| The FIRST Book of SAMUEL, otherwise called
The FIRST Book of the KINGS.
2. And he had two wives; the name of Hannah having borne Samuel, presenteth him to the LORD. the one was Hannah, and the name of the 1. TOW there was a certain other chil
' NOK Kamratha inszophica, taf" mount atent
, but Hannah had no children.
Ephraim, and his name was Elkanah, the 3. And this man went up out of his city son of Jeroham, the son of Elihu, the son yearly to worship, and to sacrifice unto the of Tohu, the son of Zuph, an Ephrathite: |LORD of hosts in Shiloh. And the two sons
of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, the priests of 20. Wherefore it came to pass, when the the LORD, were there.
time was come about after Hannah had 4. And when the time was that Elkanah conceived, that she bare a son, and called offered, he gave to Peninnah his wife, and to his name Samuel, saying, Because I have all her sons and her daughters, portions : asked him of the LORD.
5. But unto Hannah he gave a worthy 21. And the man Elkanah, and all his portion: for he loved Hannah; but the house, went up to offer unto the LORD the LORD had shut up her womb.
yearly sacrifice, and his vow. 6. And her adversary also provoked her 22. But Hannah went not up; for she sore, for to make her fret, because the LORD said unto her husband, I will not go up until had shut up her womb.
the child be weaned, and then I will bring 7. And as he did so year by year, when she him, that he may appear before the LORD, went up to the house of the LORD, so she pro- and there abide for ever. voked her; therefore she wept, and did not eat. 23. And Elkanah her husband said unto
8. Then said Elkanah her husband to her, her, Do what seemeth thee good ; tarry until Hannah, why weepest thou? and why eatest thou have weaned him; only the LORD esthou not? and why is thy heart grieved ? am tablish his word. So the woman abode, and not I better to thee than ten sons?
gave her son suck until she weaned him. 9. So Hannah rose up, after they had 24. And when she had weaned him, she eaten in Shiloh, and after they had drunk: took him up with her, with three bullocks, (now Eli the priest sat upon a seat by a and one ephah of Aour, and a bottle of wine, post of the temple of the LORD :)
and brought him unto the house of the LORD 10. And she was in bitterness of soul, and in Shiloh : and the child was young. prayed unto the LORD, and wept sore. 25. And they slew a bullock, and brought
11. And she vowed a vow, and said, the child to Eli. LORD of hosts, if thou wilt indeed look on 26. And she said, Oh, my lord! as thy the affliction of thine handmaid, and remem- soul liveth, my lord, I am the woman that ber me, and not forget thine handmaid, but stood by thee here, praying unto the LORD. wilt give unto thine handmaid a man child, 27. For this child I prayed; and the Lord then I will give him unto the LORD all hath given me my petition which I asked the days of his life, and there shall no razor of him: come upon his head.
28. Therefore also I have lent him to the 12. And it came to pass, as she continued LORD; as long as he liveth he shall be lent to praying before the LORD, that Eli marked the LORD. And he worshipped theLORD there. her mouth.
CHAP. II. 13. Now Hannah, she spake in her heart; 1 Hannah's song in thankfulness
. 12 The sin of Eli's sons. only her lips moved, but her voice was not 1. ND Hannah prayed, and said, My heard: therefore Eli thought she had been heart rejoiceth in the LORD; mine drunken.
horn is exalted in the LORD; my mouth is 14. And Eli said unto her, How long wilt || enlarged over mine enemies; because I rethou be drunken?putawaythywine from thee.joice in thy salvation.
15. And Hannah answered and said, No, 2. There is none holy as the LORD : for my lord; I am a woman of a sorrowful spirit: there is none beside thee; neither is there I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, any rock like our God. but have pouredout my soul before the LORD. 3. Talk no more so exceeding proudly ;
16. Count not thine handmaid for a daugh. | let not arrogancy come out of your mouth: ter of Belial: for out of the abundance of my for the LORD is a God of knowledge, and complaint and grief have I spoken hitherto. by nim actions are weighed.
17. Then Eli answered and said, Go in 4. The bows of the mighty men are bropeace: and the God of Israel grant thee thy ken, and they that stumbled are girded with petition that thou hast asked of him. strength. 18. And she said, Let thine handmaid 5. They that were full have hired out
grace in thy sight. So the woman went themselves for bread; and they that were her way, and did eat, and her countenance hungry ceased : so that the barren hath was no more sad.
borne seven ; and she that hath many chil19. And they rose up in the morning | dren is waxed feeble. early, and worshipped before the LORD, 6. The Lord killeth, and maketh alive: he and returned, and came to their house to bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up. Ramah : and Elkanah knew Hannah his 7. The LORD maketh poor, and maketh wife; and the LORD remembered her. rich: he bringeth low, and lifteth up.