« PreviousContinue »
UNIFORM WITH THE STANDARD LIBRARY,
BARBAULD'S (MRS.) SELECTIONS FROM THE SPECTATOR, TATLER,
BRITISH POETS, from MILTON to KIRKE WHITE, Cabinet Edition, comprising, in a
CATTERMOLE'S EVENINGS AT HADDON HALL. 21 exquisite Engravings on
Steel, from Designs by himself; the Letter-Press by the BARONESS DE CALA-
CHILLINGWORTH'S RELIGION OF PROTESTANTS. 3. 6d.
CLASSIC TALES;, comprising The Vicar of Wakefield, Elizabeth, Paul and Virginia,
DICKSON AND MOWBRAY ON POULTRY, Edited by MRS. LOUDON, Illus-
HORACE'S ODES AND EPODES, translated literally and rhythmically, by the REV.
IRVING'S (WASHINGTON) WORKS. Complete in 10 Vols., £1 15s., or 3s. 6d.
JOYCE'S SCIENTIFIC DIALOGUES. Greatly Improved Edition, with Questions, &c.,
by PINNOCK. (Upwards of 600 pages). Woodcuts. 5s.
JOYCE'S INTRODUCTION TO THE ARTS AND SCIENCES. 5s.
LAMARTINE'S THREE MONTHS IN POWER. Sewed, 2s.
LAMARTINE'S POETICAL MEDITATIONS AND RELIGIOUS HARMONIES,
LAWRENCE'S LECTURES ON COMPARATIVE ANATOMY, PHYSIOLOGY,
ZOOLOGY, AND THE NATURAL HISTORY OF MAN. Frontispiece and
LILLY'S INTRODUCTION TO ASTROLOGY. A New and Improved Edition, by
ZADKIEL, with his Grammar of Astrology, and Tables of Nativities. 5s.
LOUDON'S (MRS.) ENTERTAINING NATURALIST, a Description of more than
Five Hundred Animals, with Indexes of Scientific and Popular Names. With
upwards of 500 Woodcuts, by BEWICK, HARVEY, &c. Revised and enlarged.
LOWTH'S LECTURES ON THE SACRED POETRY OF THE HEBREWS.
MICHELET'S HISTORY OF THE FRENCH REVOLUTION. 48.
MILLER'S PHILOSOPHY OF HISTORY.
Third Revised and Improved Edition,
MITFORD'S (MISS) OUR VILLAGE. 2 Vols., New Edition, with Woodcuts and beau-
NORWAY. A Road Book for Tourists in Norway, with Hints to English Sportsmen and
PARKES ELEMENTARY CHEMISTRY, incorporating the CATECHISM. New
UNIFORM WITH THE STANDARD LIBRARY.
SHAKSPEARE'S PLAYS AND POEMS, with Life, by CHALMERS. In 1 Vol.
the same, Embellished with 40 pleasing Steel Engravings, elegantly bound
STANDARD LIBRARY CYCLOPÆDIA OF POLITICAL, CONSTITUTIONAL,
The same, on fine paper, with 8 new Illustrations by LEECH and GILBERT,
The same, Illustrated with 9 highly finished Engravings on Steel, richly
BOHN'S LIBRARY OF FRENCH MEMOIRS.
Uniform with the STANDARD LIBRARY, price 3s. Od. per Volume.
1&2. MEMOIRS OF PHILIP DE COMMINES, containing the Histories of Louis XI.
3, 4, 5 & 6. MEMOIRS OF THE DUKE OF SULLY, Prime Minister to Henry the
BOHN'S SCIENTIFIC LIBRARY.
Uniform with the STANDARD LIBRARY, price 5s., (excepting "Cosmos," Kidd, and
1. STAUNTON'S CHESS PLAYER'S HAND-BOOK, with Diagrams.
2. LECTURES ON PAINTING, by THE ROYAL ACADEMICIANS.
3, 4, 8, & 15. HUMBOLDT'S COSMOS; or, Sketch of a Physical Description of
the Universe. Translated, with Notes, by E. C. OTTE. In 4 Vols., with fine
Portrait. This Translation (though published at so low a price) is more complete
than any other. The Notes are placed beneath the text. Humboldt's analytica
summaries, and the passages hitherto suppressed, are included; and comprehensive
5. STAUNTON'S CHESS PLAYER'S COMPANION, comprising a New Treatise on
Odds, a Collection of Match Games, Original Problems, &c.
6. HAND-BOOK OF GAMES, by VARIOUS AMATEURS and PROFESSORS.
7. HUMBOLDT'S VIEWS OF NATURE, with coloured view of Chimborazo, &c.
9. RICHARDSON'S GEOLOGY, AND PALEONTOLOGY, Revised by Dr. WRIGHT,
10. STOCKHARDT'S PRINCIPLES OF CHEMISTRY, Exemplified in Simple Expe-
BOHN'S SCIENTIFIC LIBRARY.
12. AGASSIZ AND GOULD'S COMPARATIVE PHYSIOLOGY. New and Enlarged
14. PYE SMITH'S GEOLOGY AND SCRIPTURE. Fifth Edition, with Memoir.
16; OERSTED'S SOUL IN NATURE, &c. Portrait.
17. STAUNTON'S CHESS TOURNAMENT, with Diagrams.
18 & 20. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. KIRBY on the History, Habits, and
Instincts of Animals; Edited by T. RYMER JONES. In 2 Vols. Many Illustrations.
21. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. KIDS On the Adaptation of External
22. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. WHEWELL'S Astronomy and General Physics,
considered with reference to Natural Theology. Portrait of the Earl of
23. SCHOUW'S EARTH, PLANTS, AND MAN, and KOBELL'S SKETCHES
FROM THE MINERAL KINGDOM, Translated by A. HENFREY, F.R.S., &c.
24. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. CHALMERS on the Adaptation of Externa.
Nature to the Moral and Intellectual Constitution of Man, with the Author's last
Corrections, and Biographical Sketch by the REV. DR. CUMMING.
26 & 27. HUMPHREY'S COIN COLLECTOR'S MANUAL: a popular introduction
to the Study of Coins, ancient and modern; with elaborate Indexes, and numerous
29. COMTE'S PHILOSOPHY OF THE SCIENCES, Edited from the 'Cours de
Philosophie Positive,' by G. H. LEWES, Esq.
30. MANTELL'S (DR.) GEOLOGICAL EXCURSIONS, including THE ISLE OF
WIGHT. New Edition, with Prefatory Note by T. PPERT JONES, Esq., numerous
beautiful Woodcuts, and a Geological Map.
31. HUNT'S POETRY OF SCIENCE; or, Studies of the Physical Phenomena of
32 & 33. ENNEMOSER'S HISTORY OF MAGIC, Translated from the German by
WILLIAM HOWITT. With an Appendix by MARY HOWITT. In 2 Vols.
34. HUNT'S ELEMENTARY PHYSICS; an Introduction to the Study of Natural
Philosophy. New Edition, revised. Numerous Woodcuts and Coloured Frontispiece.
35. HANDBOOK OF DOMESTIC MEDICINE, by an eminent Physician (700 pages).
36. STANLEY'S CLASSIFIED SYNOPSIS of Dutch, Flemish, and German Painters.
37. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. PROUT on Chemistry, Meterology, and the
Function of Digestion. Edited by DR. GRIFFITH. Coloured Maps.
38. JOYCE'S SCIENTIFIC DIALOGUES. New and Enlarger dition, completed
32. STOCKHARD'S AGRICULTURAL CHEMISTRY: or CHEMICAL FIELD
40. BLAIR'S CHRONOLOGICAL TABLES, REVISED AND ENLARGED; Compre-
(upwards of 800 pages). Double volume, 10s.-or half-morocco, 12s. 6d.
41. BOLLEY'S MANUAL OF TECHNICAL ANALYSIS; a Guide for the Testing of
Natural and Artificial Substances, by B. H. PAUL. 100 wood engravings.
42. MANTELL'S WONDERS OF GEOLOGY; or, a Familiar Exposition of Geological
Complete in 2 vols. With coloured Geological Map of England, plates, and upwards
Uniform with the STANDARD LIBRARY, at 5s. per volume,
1 to 8. LODGE'S PORTRAITS OF ILLUSTRIOUS PERSONAGES OF GREAT
9. CRUIKSHANK'S THREE COURSES AND DESSERT, with 50 Illustrations.
11. KITTO'S SCRIPTURE LANDS, AND BIBLICAL ATLAS, with 24 Maps, (or
BOHN'S ILLUSTRATED LIBRARY.
12. WHITE'S NATURAL HISTORY OF SELBORNE, with Notes by SIR WM.
JARDINE and others, edited, with large additions, by E. JESSE, Esq. With 40
13. DIDRON'S CHRISTIAN ICONOGRAPHY. With 150 Engravings. Vol. I.
14. REDDING ON WINES. New and Revised Edition, with 20 beautiful Woodcuts.
15 & 16. ALLEN'S BATTLES OF THE BRITISH NAVY. New Edition. Enlarged
by the Author. Numerous fine Portraits on Steel. 2 Vols.
17 & 18. ROME IN THE NINETEENTH CENTURY.
19. MAXWELL'S VICTORIES OF WELLINGTON AND THE BRITISH ARMIES,
AN OLD SOLDIER," compiled from the materials of
Maxwell; with au Account of the Funeral. 18 kighly-finished steel Engravings.
21. MARY AND WM. HOWITT'S STORIES OF ENGLISH AND FOREIGN LIFE,
with 20 beautiful Steel Engravings.
22. BECHSTEIN'S CAGE and CHAMBER BIRDS, including SWEET's Warblers.
New Edition, greatly enlarged, numerous Plates (or Coloured, 7s. 6d.)
23. NORWAY AND ITS SCENERY, comprising PRICE'S Journal, with large Addi-
tions and a Road Book. Edited by THOS. FORESTER, Esq. With 22 Illustrations,
beautifully Engraved on Steei by Lucas.
24. CHINA: PICTORIAL, DESCRIPTIVE, AND HISTORICAL, with some account
of Ara and the Burmese, Siam and Assam. Illustrated by nearly 100 Engravings
25; PICTORIAL HANDBOOK OF LONDON, comprising its Antiquities, Architec-
ture, Arts, Manufactus, Trade, Social, Literary, and Scientific Institutions,
Exhibitions, and Galleries of Art. With 205 Engravings on wood, and large Map.
26. MARY HOWITT'S PICTORIAL CALENDAR OF THE SEASONS
27. DANTE, translated into English Verse by I. C. WRIGHT, M.A. Third Edition, care-
fully revised. Portrait aid 34 Illustrations on Steel, after FLAXMAN.
28 & 29. MUDIE'S BRITISH BIRDS, or History of the Feathered Tribes of the
British Islands. Fifth Edition, revised by W. C. L. MARTIN, Esq. Complete in
2 Vols., with 52 figures of Birds, and 7 additional Plates of Eggs. (Or, with the
Plates Coloured, 7s. 6d. per Vol.)
30. TASSO'S JERUSALEM DELIVERED, translated into English Spenserian verse,
with a Life of the Author by J. H. WIFFEN. Fourth Edition. 24 Engravings by
31 INDIA: PICTORIAL, DESCRIPTIVE, and HISTORICAL, from the Earliest
Times to the Present. Illustrated by upwards of 100 Engravings on Wood, and
32. NICOLINI'S HISTORY OF THE JESUITS. Portraits of Loyola, Lainez, Xavier,
Borgia, Acquaviva, Pere la Chaise, Ricci, and Pope Ganganelli.
33. ROBINSON CRUSOE, with Illustrations by STOTHARD and HARVEY, 12 beautiful
34, WALKER'S MANLY EXERCISES; containing Skating, Riding, Driving, Shooting,
Sailing, Rowing, Swimming, &c. Revised by "CRAVEN." Tenth Edition, with
44 Plates and numerous Woodcuts.
35. MILLER'S HISTORY OF THE ANGLO-SAXONS, on the basis of SHARON
TURNER. With Index, Portrait of Alfred, Map of Saxon Britain, and 12 Engra
36. MICHAEL ANGELO AND RAPHAEL. By DUPPA and QUATREMERE DE
QUINCY. With 13 highly-finished Engravings, including the Cartoons.
37. WALTON'S COMPLETE ANGLER; with Notes practical and historical. Edited
by ED. JESSE and HENRY G. Bos. Embellished with 203 Engravings on Wood,
price 58.;-or with the addition of 26 Engravings on Steel, 7s. 6d.
39. TALES OF THE GENII. With numerous wood cuts, and 12 steel engravings.
40. GUIDE TO THE KNOWLEDGE OF POTTERY AND PORCELAIN; com-
prising the BERNAL CATALOGUE, with the Auction Prices and Names of the
present Possessors. To which is added, an Introductory Essay on Pottery and
Porcelain, and an Engraved List of all the known Marks and Monograms. By
HENRY G. BOHN. Numerous wood engravings.
THE PRINCIPAL FACTS IN THE CHRONOLOGY AND HIS-
TO THE PRESENT TIME.
BEING A COMPLETE INDEX TO THE ENLARGED EDITION OF
BY J. WILLOUGHBY ROSSE.
IN TWO VOLUME S.
VOL. I. A—J.
HENRY G. BOHN, YORK STREET, COVENT GARDEN.