« PreviousContinue »
UNIFORM WITH THE STANDARD LIBRARY, BARBAULD'S (MRS.) SELECTIONS FROM THE SPECTATOR, TATLER, GUARDIAN, AND FREEHOLDER. In 2 Vols. 3s. Od.
Volume. BRITISH POETS, from Milton to KIRKE WUte, Cabinet Edition, comprising, in a
very small but remarkably clear type, as much matter as the sixty volumes of
Johnson's Poets. Complete in.4. Vols. Frontispieces. ltu. CARY'S TRANSLATION OF DANTE. Extra cloth. 7s. 61. CATTERMOLE'S EVENINGS AT HADDON HALL. 24 exquisite Engravings on
Steel, from Designs by himself; the Letter-Press by the BAKON ESS DE CALA
BRELLA. Post svo. 7s.6. CHILLINGWORTH'S RELIGION OF PROTESTANTS. 33. 64. CLASSIC TALES;, comprising The Vicar of Wakefield, Elizabeth, Paul and Virginia,
Gulliver's Travels, Sterne's Sentimental Journey, Sorrows of Werter, Theodosius
and Coustautia, Castle of Otranto, and Rasselas." 12mo. 7 Portraits. 38. 6il. DEMOSTHENES. Translated by LELAND. Portrait. 3s. DICKSON AND MOWBRAY ON POULTRY, Edited by Mrs. LOUDON, Illus
tratious by HARVEY (insluding the Cochin-China Fowl). 56. HORACE'S ODES AND EPODES, translated literally and rlıythmically, by the Rev.
W. SEWELL. 33. 60. IRVING'S (WASHINGTON) WORKS. Complete in 10 Vols., £1 lās., or 3s. 6d.
JOYCE'S SCIENTIFIC DIALOGUES. Greatly Improved Edition, with Questions, &c.,
by PINNOCK. (Upwards of 600 pages). Woolculs. 58. JOYCE'S INTRODUCTION TO THE ARTS AND SCIENCES. 55. LAMARTINES THREE MONTHS IN POWER. Sewed, 2s. LAMARTINE'S POETICAL MEDITATIONS AND RELIGIOUS HARMONIES,
with Biographical Sketch. Portrait. Cloth, 3s. 6.1. LAWRENCE'S LECTURES ON COMPARATIVE ANATOMY, PHYSIOLOGY,
ZOOLOGY, AND THE NATURAL HISTORY OF MAN. I'rontispiece and
Plates. 5s. LILLY'S INTRODUCTION TO ASTROLOGY. A New and Improved Edition, by
ZADKIEL, with his Grammar of Astro y, and Tables of Nativities. 5s. LOUDON'S (MRS.) ENTERTAINING NATURALIST, a Description of more than
Five Hundred Animals, with Indexes of Scientific and Popular Names. With upuarıls of 500 Wuiculs, by BEWICK, HabvEY, &c. Revised and enlarged. 7s.6d.
LOWTH'S LECTURES ON THE SACRED POETRY OF THE HEBREWS.
3s. 60. MICHELET'S HISTORY OF THE FRENCH REVOLUTION. 4s. MILLER'S PHILOSOPHY OF HISTORY. Third Revised and Improved Edition, 4 Volumes, at 3s. 6d.
Volunie. MITFORD'S (MISS) OUR VILLAGE. 2 Vols., New Edition, with Woodcuts and beau
tiful frontispieces on Steel, gilt cloth. Each Vol. 5s. NORWAY. A Road Book for Tourists in Norway, with llints to English Sportsmen and
Anglers, by Thomas FORESTER, Esq. Limp cloth. 25. PARKES ELEMENTARY CHEMISTRY, incorporating the CATECHISM. New
Edition, with wood cuts, revised, 33. Cd.
SHAKSPEARE'S PLAYS AND POEMS, with Life, by CHALMERS. In 1 Vol
the same, Embellished with 40 pleasing Steel Engravings, elegantly bound
in red Turkey cloth, gilt edges. 58.
STANDARD LIBRARY CYCLOPÆDIA OF POLITICAL, CONSTITUTIONAL,
STATISTICAL, AND FORENSIC KNOWLEDGE. 4 Vols. 35. 6d. cach.
This work contains as much as eight ordinary octavos. It was first published in another
shape by Mr. Charles Knight, under the title of Political Dictionary, at £1 168. The Con
piler, MR. GEORGE Loxg, is one of the most competent Scholars of the day.
STURM'S MORNING COMMUNINGS WITH GOD. New Edition. 58.
UNCLE TOM'S CABIN, with Introductory Remarks by the Rev. J. SHERMAN
(printed in a large clear type, with head-lines of Contents). 2s.6d.
The same, on fine paper, with 8 reic Illustrations by LEECH and GILBERT,
and a beautiful Frontispiece by HINCHLIFF. 3s. 6d.
THE WIDE, WIDE WORLD, by ELIZABETH WETHERELL. Complete in 1 Vol, with
Frontispiece, gilt edges. 3s. 6d.
The same, Illustrated with 9 highly finished Engravings on Steel, richly
bound in cloth, gilt edges. 58.
BOHN'S LIBRARY OF FRENCH MEMOIRS.
Uniform with the STANDARD LIBRARY, price 3s. Od. per Volume.
1 & 2. MEMOIRS OF PHILIP DE COMMINES, containing the Histories of Louis XI.
and Charles VIII., Kings of France, and of Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy.
To which is added, The Scandalous Chronicle. In 2 volumes. Portraits.
3, 4, 6 & 6. MEMOIRS OF THE DUKE OF SULLY, Prime Minister to Henry the
With Notes and an Historical Introduction by SIX WALTER Scott.
In 4 vols. With a General Index, Portraits.
BOHN'S SCIENTIFIC LIBRARY.
Unijorn with the STANDARD LIBRARY, price 5s., (excepting “ Cosmos," Kidd, and
Whewell, which are 38. 6d., and Mantell's “Petrifactions," which is Gs.)
1. STAUNTON'S CHESS PLAYER'S HAND-BOOK, with Diagrams.
2. LECTURES ON PAINTING, hy THE ROYAL ACADEMICIANS.
3, 4, 8, & 15. HUMBOLDT'S COSMOS; or, Sketch of a Physical Description of c
the Universe. Translated, with Notes, by E. C. OTTE. In 4 Vols., with fine
Portrait. This Translation (though published at so low a price) is more complete
than any other. The Notes are placed beneath the text. Iluniboldt's analytica
summaries, and the passages hitherto suppressed, are included; and comprehensive
Indices subjoined. 3s. 6d. per Volume.
5. STAUNTON'S CHESS PLAYER'S COMPANION, comprising a New Treatise on
Odds, a Collection of Match Games, Original Problems, &c.
6. HAND-BOOK OF GAMES, by VARIOUS AMATEURS and PROFESSORS.
7. HUMBOLDT'S VIEWS OF NATURE, with coloured view of Chimborazo, &c.
9. RICHARDSON'S GEOLOGY, AND PALÆONTOLOGY, Revised by Dr. WRIGHT,
with upwards of 400 Illustrations on Wood.
10. STOCKHARDT'S PRINCIPLES OF CHEMISTRY, Exemplified in Simple Expe-
riments, with upwards of 270 Illustrations.
11. DR. G. A. MANTELL'S PETRIFACTIONS AND THEIR TEACHINGS; A
Hand-Book to the Fossils in the British Museum. Beautiful Wood Engravings. '6s
BOHN'S SCIENTIFIC LIBRARY.
12. AGASSIZ AND GOULD'S COMPARATIVE PHYSIOLOGY. New and Enlarged
Edition, with nearly 400 Illustrations.
13, 19, & 28. HUMBOLDT'S PERSONAL NARRATIVE OF HIS TRAVELS IN
AMERICA. With General Index.
14. PYE SMITH'S GEOLOGY AND SCRIPTURE. Fifth Edition, with Memoir.
16; OERSTED'S SOUL IN NATURE, &c. Portrait.
17. STAUNTON'S CHESS TOURNAMENT, with Diagrams.
18 & 20. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. KIRBY on the History, Habits, and
Instincts of Animals; Edited by T. RYMER JONES. In 2 Vols. Many Mustrations.
21. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. Kids On the Adaptation of External
Nature to the Physical Condition of Man. 3s. 61.
22. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. WHEWELL'S Astronomy and General Physics,
considered with reference to Natural Theology. Portrait of the Earl of
Bridgewater, 3s. 6d,
23. SCHOUW'S EARTH, PLANTS, AND MAN, and KOBELL'S SKETCHES
FROM THE MINERAL KINGDOM, Translated by A. HENFREY, F.R.S., &c.
24. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. CHALMERS on the Adaptation of Externa,
Nature to the Moral and Intellectual Constitution of Man, with the Author's last
Corrections, and Biographical Sketch by the Rev. Dr. CUMMING.
25. BACON'S NOVUM ORGANUM AND ADVANCEMENT OF LEARNING.
Complete, withi Notes, by J. DEVEY, M.A.
26 & 27. HUMPHREY'S COIN COLLECTOR'S MANUAL: a popular introduction
toile Study of Coins, ancient and modern; with elaborate Indexes, and numerous
highly-finished Engrurings on lood and Steel, 2 Vois.
29. COMTES PHILOSOPHY OF THE SCIENCES, Edited from the Cours de
Philosophie Positive,' by G. H. LEWES, Esq.
30. MANTELL'S (DR.) GEOLOGICAL EXCURSIONS, including THE ISLE OF
WIGHT. New Edition, with Prefatory Note by T, PUPERT JONES, Esq., sumerous
beuntiful Woodcuts, and a Geological siap.
31. HUNT'S POETRY OF SCIENCE; or, Studies of the Physical Phenomena of
Nature. 3rd Edition, revised and enlargeri.
32 & 33. ENNEMOSER'S HISTORY OF MAGIC, Translated from the German by
WILLIAM HowITT. With an Appendix by Mary HOWITT. In. Vols.
34. HUNT'S ELEMENTARY PHYSICS; an Introduction to the Study of Natural
Philosophy. New Edition, revised. Numcrous Woodcuts and Coloured Prontispiece.
35. HANDBOOK OF DOMESTIC MEDICINE, by an eminent Physician (700 pages).
36. STANLEY'S CLASSIFIED SYNOPSIS of Duich, Flemish, and German Painters.
37. BSIDGEWATER THEATISES. PROUT on Chemistry, Meterobogy, and the
Function of Dircestion. Edited by Dr. GOUFITI. Coloured. Dlops.
33. JOYCE'S SCIENTIFIC DIALOGUES. New and Enlarger "dition, completed ®
to the present state of knowledge by Dr. GRIFFITH. Rumanus Woodcuts.
39. STOCKHARD'S AGRICULTURAL CHEMISTRY: or CHEMICAL FIELD C
LECTURES. Aregeed to Farmers. With Notes by PROFESSOR HENFREY and
a Paper on LIQUID MANURE, by J. J. VECHI, Esq.
40. BLAIR'S CHRONOLOGICAL TABLFS. REVISED AND ENLARGED; compre-
hending the Chronolory and History of the World to 1856. By J. W. Rosse,
(upwards of 800 pages). Double volume, 10s.-or half-morocco, 123. 6d.
41. BOLLEY'S MANUAL OF TECHNICAL ANALYSIS; a Guide for the Testing of
Natural anul Artificial Substances, ly B. H. PAUL. 100 wood engravings.
42. MANTELL'S WONDERS OF GEOLOGY; or. a Familiar Exposition of Geological
Phenomena. Seventh Edition, rerised and augmented by T, RUPERT JONES, F.G.S.
Complete in 2 vols. With coloured Geological Map of England, plates, and upwards
of 200 beautiful wood-cuts. Vol. I. Post 8vo.. cloth. 7s. 61.
BOHN'S ILLUSTRATED LIBRARY.
Uniform with the STANDARD LIBRARY, at os. per volume,
1 to 8. LODGE'S PORTRAITS OF ILLUSTRIOUS PERSONAGES OF GREAT
BRITAIN. 8 Vois, post 8vo. 240 Portraits.
9. CRUIKSILANK'S THREE COURSES AND DESSERT, tiih 50 hlustrations.
0. PICKCKING'S RACES OF MAN, with numerous Portraits (or Coloured 7s. 6:6.)
11. KITTO'S SCRIPTURE LANDS, AND BIBLICAL ATLAS, with 24 Maps, (como
Coloureil, īs. 6d.)
BOHN'S ILLUSTRATED LIBRARY.
తరు తరుచుకుంది అందులో ముందుకు
12. WHITE'S NATURAL HISTORY OF SELBORNE, with Notes by Sir WM.
JARDINE and others, edited, with large additions, by E. JESSE, Esq. With 40
highly-finished Wood Engravinge (Colourei, 7s. 61.)
13. DIDRON'S CHRISTIAN ICONOGRAPHY. With 150 Engravings. Vol. I.
14. REDDING ON WINES. New and Revised Edition, with 20 beautiful Woodcuts.
15 & 16. ALLEN'S BATTLES OF THE BRITISH NAVY. New Edition. Eularged
by the Author. Numerous fire Portraits on Steel. 2 Vols.
17 & 18. ROME IN THE NINETEENTH CENTURY. Fifth Edition, in 2 Vols.,
with 34 fine Steel Engravings, and Index.
19. MAXWELL'S VICTORIES OF WELLINGTON AND THE BRITISH ARMIES,
with Engravings on Steel.
20. LIFE OF WELLINGTON, hy “AN OLD SOLDIER,” compiled from the materials of
Marwell; with an Account of the Funeral. 18 kighly-finished steel Engravings.
21. MARY AND WM. HOWITT'S STORIES OF ENGLISH AND FOREIGN LIFE,
with 20 beautiful Steel Engravings.
22. BECHSTEIN'S CAGE and CHAMBER BIRDS, including Swxet's Warblers.
New Edition, greatly enlarged, numerous Plates (or Coloured, 7s. 61.)
23. NORWAY AND ITS SCENERY, comprising PRICE's Journal, with large Addi-
tions and a Road Book. Edited by Thos. FORESTER, Esq. Will 22 Illustrations,
beautifully Engraved on Sleei by Lucas.
*** The Road Book is sold separately, price 28.
24. CHINA: PICTORIAL, DESCRIPTIVE, AND HISTORICAL, with some account
of Ara and the Burmese, Siam and Assam. Illustrated by rearly 100 Engravings
25; PICTORIAL HANDBOOK OF LONDON, comprising its Antiquities, Architec-
ture, Arts, Manufactu 48, Trade, Social, Literary, and Scientific Institntions,
Exhibitions, and Galleries of Art. With 205 Engravings on vood, and large dap.
26. MARY HOWITT'S PICTORIAL CALENDAR OF THE SEASONS
Upwards of 100 Illustrations.
27. DANTE, translated into English Verse by I. C. WRIGHT, M.A. Third Edition, care-
fully revised. Portrait and 34 Ilustrations on Steel, after FLAXMAN.
28 & 29. MUDIE'S BRITISH BIRDS, or History of the leathered Tribes of the
British Islands. Fifth Edition, revised by W. C. L. MARTIN, Esq. Complete in
2 Vols., with 52 figures of Birds, and 7 additional Plates of Eggs. (Or, with the
Plates Coloured, 75. Od. per Vol.)
30. TASSO'S JERUSALEM DELIVERED, translated into English Spenserian verse,
with a Life of the Author by J. H. WIFFEN. Fourth Edition. 24 Engravings by
THURSTON on Ilfood, and 8 on Sleel.
31 INDIA : PICTORIAL, DESCRIPTIVE, and HISTORICAL, from the Earliest
Times to the Prescut. Illustrated by upecards of 100 Engravings on Wood, and
Niap of Hindoostun.
32. NICOLINI'S HISTORY OF THE JESUITS. Portraits of Loyola, Lainez, Xavier,
Borgia, Acquaviva, Pere la Chaise, Ricci, and Pope Ganganelli.
33. ROBINSON CRUSOE, with Illustrations by STOTHARD and Harvey, 12 beautiful
Engravings on Steel, and 74 on Wood.
34, WALKER'S MANLY EXERCISES; containing Skating, Riding, Driving, Shooting,
Sailing, Rowing, Swimming, &c. Revised by “CRAVEN.” Tenth Edition, with
44 Plates and numerous Woodents.
35. MILLER'S, HISTORY OF THE ANGLO-SAXONS, on the basis of SHARON
TURNER. With Index, Portrait of Alired, Map of Saxon Britain, and 12 Engra:
vings on steel after Harvey.
36. MICHAEL ANGELO AND RAPHAEL. By DUPPA and QUATREMERE DE
Quixcy. With 13 higlily-finished Engravings, including the Cartoons.
37. WALTON'S COMPLETE ANGLER; with Notes practical and historical. Edited
by ED. JESSE and II ENRY G. Bulls. Embellished with 203 Engravings on Wood,
price 58.;-or with the addition of 26 Engravings on Steel, 7s. 6d.
38. MARRYAT'S MASTERMAN READY; complete in 1 vol., with 93 Engravings
on wood. Post 8vo.
39. TALES OF THE GENII. With numerous wood cuts, and 12 stcel engravings.
40. GUIDE TO THE KNOWLEDGE OF POTTERY AND PORCELAIN; com-
prising the BERNAL CATALOGUE, with the Auction Prices and Names of the
present Possessors. To which is added, an Introductory Essay on Pottery and
Porcelain, and an Engraved List of all the known Marks and Monograms. By
HENRY G. BOAN. Numerous wood engravings.
BEING A COMPLETE INDEX TO THE ENLARGED EDITION OF
BLAIR'S CHRONOLOGICAL TABLES.
HENRY G. BOHN, YORK STREET, COVENT GARDEN.