« PreviousContinue »
et Prov. 30.4.
[Or, from above]. 8. The a wind bloweth where it (1) lifteth, and thou hearest the found thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit. 9. Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be? 10. Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things ? 11. Verily verily I say unto thee, • We speak that we do know, and testifie that we have seen ; and ye d receive not our witness. 12. If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how fall ye believe if I tell you of heavenly things ? 13. And no man hathaf cended up to heaven, but he that (2) came f down from hea
ven, a + Eccl. u. 5. Thou knowest
Who hath of not what is the way of the Spi cended up to Heaven, or defcendrit.-t i Cor. 2. 11. For what Man ed ?
† Joh. 6. 62. What and if knoweth the things of a Man, save ye shall see the Son of Man ascend the Spirit of Man which is in 5 up where he was before? A&ts 2. him? Even fo the Things of God 34. David is not afcended into the knoweth no Man, but the Spirit of Heavens.
t Eph. 4. 9. Now God.
that he ascended, what is it but o of Joh. 6.52,60. How can this that he also defcended first into Man give us his Flesh to eat? This to the lower Parts of the Earth. is an hard saying, who can hear ic ? f.: Joh. 16. 28. I came forel
et Joh. 8. 28. + Joh. 12. 49. from the Father, and am come into Joh. 14. 24. See on Joh. 7. 16. the World: again, I leave the d + Ver. 3 2.
World, and go to the Father. (1) It cannot be inferred from these Words, that the holy Spirit re. fuies to afford his gracious Influences to any who do not grieve and quench his facred Mocions; but the Meaning of them seems to be this: As we know not the original Cause of the Wind, or why it blows now strong. er, and then gentler; now from this Quarter, then from that ; yet by the Sound thereof, and other Effects, we are sensible that it is : So, though the renewed Person knows not the Manner or Degrees of the Operation of the holy Spirit which produced the Change in him, yet the Change is perceptible by its Fruits and Effects, though he is not al
. ways able to distinguith the Motions of the Spirit from the inward Workings of his own Mind.
(2) Here the Son is said to have come down from Heaven, in refpe&t of the Union of his Divinity with the humane Nature, and his special Refidence in it here below! And yet he is faid to have come dovon from Heaven, as still to be in Heaven : He that came down from Heaven, the Son of Man who is in Heaven, that is, in respect of his Divinity, by which he is every where present : And he that came down from Heaven, is here called the Son of Man, by the fame Figure that his Blood is elsewhere called the Blood of God, the Apostle ascribing that to one Nature which is properto the other: This we take to be the most natural and easie Sense of this Text, and most agreeable to the Tenour of the New Teftament. Archbishop Tillotson concerning the Divinity of our Blessed Saviour, Serm. 2. od Job. I. 14.
believe that Jesus is the Christ the
ven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. 14. And as Moses s lifted up the Serpent in the wilderness, even so
muft the Son of man be lifted up : 15. That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but i have eternal life. 16. For God k so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever m believeth in him, n should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world P through him might be saved. 18. He that a be
lieveth 3* Numb. 21. 9. Moses made a 1 Joh. 5. 10. He that believeth oa Serpent of Brass, and put it upon a the Son of God hath the Witness in Pole
, and it came to pass, that if a himself: he that believeth not Serpent had bitten any Man, when God, hath made him a Liar, bem "he beheld the Serpent of Brass, he s caufe he believeth not the Record lived.
that God hath given of his Son. t Joh. 8. 28. When ye have Acts 16.31. Believe on the Lord lift up the son of Man, then shall ye Jesus, and thou shalt be saved, and know that I am he.- Joh. 12.
thy House. 32. And I, if I be lifted up from the 10 in Luk. 19. 10. The Son of Man Earth, will draw all Men unto is come to seek and to save that
which was lost. Ver. 36.
of Luk. 9. 56. The Son of Man Rom. 5. 8. God commendeth is not come to destroy Mens Lives, his Love towards us, in that while 15 but to save them. Joh. 5. 45. we were yet Sinners, Chrift died Do not think that I will accafe you for us. Rom. 8. 32. He that spa to the Father ; there is one that red not his own son, but delivered accuseth you, even Moses in whom him
up for us all, how shall he ye trust." + Joh. 8. 15. Ye judge not with him freely give us all 20 after the Flesh, I judge no Max. Things ? * Joh. 4. 9. In this Joh. 12. 47:
- I came not to was manifested the Love of God to judge the World, but to save the wards us, because that God sent World. his only begotten Son into the P Joh. 14. 6. Jesus said, I am the World, that we might live through 25 Way, and the Truth, and the Life:
no Man cometh unto the Father but Joh. 2. 2. He is the Propitia by me. 1 Joh. 4. 14. We have tion for our Sins; and not for ours feen and do teftifie, that the Farber only, but also for the Sins of the sent the Son to be the Saviour of
As many as re 9 Joh. 5. 24. Verily verily I say teived him, to them gave he Power unto you, He that heareth my to become the Sons of God, even Word, and believeth on him that to them that believe on his Name. fent me, hath everlasting Life, and + Joh. 6. 47. Verily verily I say
shall not come into Condemnation; unto you, He that belicveth on me but is passed from Death unto Life, hath everlasting Life. Joh. 20. 31.
+ Joh. 6.40, 47. This is the Will These are written, that ye might of him that fent me, that every
one that seeth the Son, and believet b Son of God, and that believing ye 40 on him, may have everlafting Life. might have Life through his Name.
30 the World.
lieveth on him, is not condemned: but he that believeth not, is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19. And this is the condemnation, that « light is come into the world, and men loved - darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20. For every one that doth evil, 'hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, left his deeds should be * reproved [Or, discovered]. 21. But he that doth truth, cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest that they are wrought in God. 22. I After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judea, and there he tărried with them, and (1) baptized. 23. And 5 John also was baptizing in Enon, near to Salim, because there was much water there : and they came, and were baptized. : 24. For - John was not yet cast into prison.
25 He that believeth on me hath ever those that rebel against the Light, lasting Life. Joh. 20. 31. The they know not the Ways therecf, Words under Ver. 16.
nor abide in the Paths thereof. 3 Rom. 8. 1. There is therefore
For the Morning is to them even now no Condemnation to them which s as the Shadow of Death: _if one are in Christ Jesus, who walk not know them, they are in the Terrors after the Flesh, but after the of the shadow of Death. Spirit.
Amos s. 10. They hate him b Gal. 3. 10. As many as are of that rebuketh in the Gate, and they the Works of the Law are under the 1o abbor him that speakech uprightly
. Curse : for it is written, Cursed is : Eph. 5. 13. All things that are every one that continueth not in all
reproved are made manifeft by the things which are written in the
Light ; for whatsoever doch make Book of the Law to do them
manifest is Light. . 2 Tim. 4. 3. * Joh. 1.4, 10, 11. In him was 15 The Time will come when they Life, and the Life was the Light of will not enduré found Doctrine. Men. He was in the World, and & Mat. 3. 6, 16. Were baptized the World was made by him, and of him in Jordan, confefling their the World knew him not.. He Sins. Jesus when he was bapti. came unto his own, and his own 20 zed. Mar. 1. 5. There went out received him not.
unto him all the Land of Judea, d Rom. 1. 32. Who knowing the and they of Jerusalem, and were all Judgment of God, (that they which baptized of him in the River of forcommit such things are worthy of dan, confefsing their Sins. Death) not only do the same, but 25 † Mat. 14. 3. For Herod had have pleasure in: them that do laid hold on John, and bound him, them.
and put him in Prison for Herodias e + Job 24. 13, 17. They are of fake, his Brother Philips Wife. (!) If we compare this Verse with what is recorded in the beginning of the next Chapter, it will appear that our Lord had given his Disciples a Commission to Baptize. "What therefore they did in this Macter
, being done by his Authority and Appointment, it is agreeable to the usual Forms of speaking, to say that it was done by him.
29. He that
25. Then there arose a queftion between some of Johns disciples and the Jews, about (1) purifying. 26. And they came unto John, and said unto him, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou bareft witness, behold, the fame baptizeth, and all men come to him.' 27 John answered and said, A man can ** receive [Or, take unto himself] nothing, except it be given him from heaven. 28. Ye your selves bear me witness, that I said, 'I am not the Christ, but that I am m sent before him. hath the bride, is the bridegroom: but the n friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegrooms voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled. 30. He mufto increale, but I must decrease. 31. He that P cometh from above, 4 is above all: he that is of the earth, is earthly, and speaketh of the earth : he that cometh '* from heaven, is above all.
what i* Joh. 1.7,15,27,34. The same pare thy Way before thee. Luk. [John) came for a Witness. John 1. 17. He shall go before him in the bare Witness of him. He it is Spirit and Power of Elias. who coming after me, is preferred nt Cant. 5.1. -Eat, O Friends, before me, whose Shoes Latchet 5 drink, yea drink abundantly, ObeI am not worthy to unloose. I loved. faw, and bare Record that this is • Ifa. 9.7. Of the Increase of his the Son of God.
Government and Peace, there shall kt 1 Cor. 4.7. Who maketh be no End. - Dan. 2. 35. --The thee to differ from another ? and 10 Stone that smote the Image became what hast thou that thou didst not a great Mountain, and filled the receive ? Now if thou didît receive whole Earth. it , why dost thou glory as if thou P Joh. 8. 23. Ye are from behadît not received it ? Heb. 5.4. neath, I am from above : Ye are No Man taket b this Honour to him. 15 of this World, I am not of this self
, but he that is called of God, as World. was Aaron. + Jam. 1. 17 Every 9 + Joh. 1. 15, 27. - He that good Gift, and every perfect Gift is cometh after me, is preferred befrom above, and cometh down fore me ; for he ras before me. from the Father of Lights. 20 * Joh. 6. 33. For the Bread of ! See on Joh. 1. 20, 27;
God is he which cometh down from 1+ Mal. 3. 1. Behold, I will Heaver, and giveth Life unto the Send my Messenger, and he fhall pre World. + 1 Cor. 15.47. The firft pare the way before me. † Mar. 1. Man is of the Earth earthy: the 3. Behold, I will send my Messenger 25 second Man is the Lord from Hesa before thy Face, which mall pre
(1) This Question being between John Baptiff's Disciples and the Jews, Dr. Clarke thinks that the Dispute was about the Use and Efficacy of their Master's Baptism:
what he hath » seen and heard, that he testifieth;. (1) 110 man receiveth his testimony. 33. He that hath ceived his testimony, hath set to his seal, that God is 34. For he whom God hath sent, speaketh the words God: for God giveth not the Spirit by d measure unto his 35. The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all this into his hand. 36. He that f believeth on the Son, everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son
, not lee life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
CH A P. IV.
H A HEN therefore the Lord knew how the Phari W
had heard that Jesus made and h baptized more ciples than Johri
, 2. (Though Jesus himself baptized at but his disciples.) 3. He left Judea, and departed agapit Galilee. 4. And he must needs go through Samara. Then cometh he to a city of Samaria, which is called
17. Therein is
* † Ver. II. Joh. 5.20. The Fa that all People, Nations, and ther loveth the Son, and feweth guages should serve him.him all things that himself doch. 5. 20, 22.
::: Joh. 13.3. f + Joh. 8. 26. - I speak to the 17. 2. + Heb. 2. 8. See on World those things which I have s 11. 37., and Mat. 28. 18. beord of him.
Ver. 15, 16. Joh 1 Joh. 15. 15. All things that I The Words under Ver. 16. have heard of my Father, I have & See on Acts 3. IS. made known unto you.
4.- The Fuft shall live by bis c* Rom. 3. 4. Let God be true, tot Rom. 1. but every Man a Liar: - Joh Righteousness of God sem $. 10. The Words under Ver. 16. from Faith to Faith: as it is
do: Joh. 1. 16. Of his Fulness ten, the Just shall live by have all we received, and Grace 1 Joh. 5. 10.
The Words for Grace.
15 Ver. 16. · Dan. 7. 14. There was given † Joh. 3. 22, 26. See thel him Dominion, Glory, and a Kingdom, on Joh. 3. 22,
(1) The Words no and none, in the Scriptures, are frequently cobe derstood by way of Comparison, and not in the most general Saya Instance : There is none Righteous, no not one. There is none that fondeth, there is none that seeketh after God. Now to understand Places in the most general Sense, would be to contradi&t the Da of the holy Spirit; because the Scriptures themselves record for righteous Persons, as Noah, Daniel, Job, David, &c.in the Old-Teltame and Zachariah and Elizabeth in the New. So again, Jer. 8. 6. NO repented, that is, few or almost none in comparison to those who did repent. So here, No Man receiveth his Testimony; that is, they who see it, in comparison of those who do not receive it, are but few, moft none.