« PreviousContinue »
173, 224, 271, 317, 414, 442, 497, 543, 590
187, 235, 282, 328, 417, 458, 508, 558, 604
Grammar, Definitions of, Edwin
70, 118, 164, 221, 265, 313, 440, 487, 533, 581
Highlands, Jacques W. Redway, 161
High School in tne Public School
System, The Place of the, J. W.
of Political Parties, Dr.
Gordy's Second Volume of.... 449
How We Catch It, John E. Morris.. 602
"Hurrah for the Schools of Ohio"... 441
Individuality of the Teacher, The,
A. B. Johnson.
Institute, The County, Margaret W.
Interest in Birds, Evolution of, James
Interests of Children, Studies of the,
Knight, The Modern, I. R. Hender-
Laboratory Method in Geometry,
Some Experiments in the, R. H.
Letter from Colonel White.
Literature, J. J. Burns.
McMillan, Reuben, Memorial Ser-
Report of the Committee of Twelve
PAGE Rote Singing, The Purposes of, A. J. Gantvoort
474, 571 Rural Schools:
Consolidation, Gordon Maxwell.... 348 Course of Study and Grading, J. L. Trisler
351 Special Branches, I. C. Guinther... 354
High Schools, J. P. Treat. ......... 357 Science of Education, The, What Can
Child Study Contribute to? J. P.
145 School Commissioner's Office, The, A Change in....
322 School Examiners, State Association of
37 School Habits, E. F. Warner..... 10 School Legislation
233 School-Master, Evolution of the, F. B. Pearson
564 Sho'ild Educational Journals Express
Opinions on Political Questions? C.
4.46 “Smart” High School Pupil, The, B. A. Fact, Ph. D...
Soap Film, Uses of a, J. A. Culler... 581 Soldier Superintendent, Our...
278 Something Good not on the Program. 416 Spanish in Our American Public Schools, Shall we Teach?...
502 State Conference of Presidents and
Members of Boards of Education.. 82 "Stories of Pennsylvania"
88 Teacher and the Birds, The...
160 Thanksgiving Program, A.
536 Township Superintendents, State Association of
36 United States History, The Social
Function of, John Bach McMaster. 261 Vacation, The Summer, Margaret W. Sutherland
210 Vaughn, Daniel, Personal Recollections of, W. H. Venable...
515 Volcanoes, Some Facts about, Jacques W. Redway.....
314 Waif, A Little, Lenora Ryan.
313 Washington and Lincoln Celebration,
Exercises for Yarnell, Manola
A., E. M.
THEORY AND PRACTICE.
1. Name three qualifications of a good teacher. Which qualification do you consider the most important, and why?
2. Will the formation of rules ever assist in the government of a school? Discuss.
3. What are the purposes of a recitation?
4. What means do you use to induce pupils to study?
5. Do you believe that reading educational magazines, attending teachers' associations and visiting other schools will benefit a teacher? Give reasons for your answer.
6. What have you done along these lines within the past year?
7. What is meant by the "new education”?
8. What is your theory regarding the use of corporal punishment?
3. Make an outline of our history from 1825 to 1835.
4. Upon what occasions, by what authority, and with what results have embargo acts been passed?
5. Write a hundred word sketch of the life of Andrew Johnson.
6. Name the leading events of the administration of the tenth President.
7. What historical events are suggested by the following terms: “Fiftyfour forty or fight,” “Missouri Compromise,” “X. Y. Z. papers," and "Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute"?
8. Upon what did the French and English base their claims to the territory of the Mississippi valley? How did they enforce their claims?
9. What events are suggested by the following names: Hamilton, Morse, Dred Scott, Whitney, Farragut?
10. Name five noted American historians and their works.
ARITHMETIC. 1. A man sold 500 acres of land, receiving in payment 2-3 of the value in cash and the rest in a note due in 3 months, without interest. He immediately discounted the note at a bank
U. S. HISTORY. 1. Give a brief history of slavery in the U. S.
2. Make a map of the U. S., indicating and naming the territorial accessions.
at 6 per cent, paying $57.50. What was loose constructionist and strict conthe price of the land per acre?
structionist. 2. How many acres are there in a 4. How is the Speaker of the U. S. square tract of land containing as many House of Representatives chosen? acres as there are boards in the fence When? For what length of time? inclosing it, if the boards are 11 feet Name his duties. long, and the fence 4 boards high? 5. (a) Name the Presidents of the
3. A borrows a sum of money at 4 United States under whom amendments per cent per annum, and pays the in- to the Federal Constitution were made. terest at the end of the year. He lends
(6) Name the Presidents who were not it out at the rate of 5 per cent per an- lawyers or jurists by profession. num and receives the interest half 6. What is an impeachment? Treayearly. By this means he gains $100 a
son? A citizen? Injunction? A revyear. How much does he borrow? 4. A man has a square lawn con
7. To what kinds of cases does the taining ito of an acre; he makes a judicial power of the United States ex
tend? gravel walk around it which occupies of the whole lawn. What is the
8. State the substance of the first width of the walk?
amendment to the Constitution. 5. What is the perimeter of a rhom
9. Name the elective State officers bus, one diagonal being 10 rds., and the
of Ohio. What is the law-making body
in Ohio called? How many members area 86.601? 6. At what time between 5 and 6
of the Supreme Court of Ohio? What o'clock is the minute hand midway be
their length of term of office?
10. For what term is a Judge of tween 12 and the hour hand?
Common Pleas Court chosen in Ohio? 7. What must gold sell for that an
A Probate Judge? When will Ohio investment in 5-20's at 120 may yield 3
next choose U. S. Senators? For what per cent interest on the income?
terms? 8. A inan agreed to work a year for
PSYCHOLOGY. a horse and $180. At the end of the fifth month, by equitable settlement, he
1. What have you read on this subreceived the horse and $5. What was ject? the value of the horse?
2. Give and define the three usual
divisions of this branch. CIVIL GOVERNMENT.
3. Distinguish the doctrine of Her
bart from that of Kant. 1. Name and describe the various 4. Give substance of Weber's and classes of colonial governments in Fechner's Law. America. Name the colonies of each 5. A new-born babe may have a pure class.
sensation; an adult, hardly. Explain. 2. (a) Who was president of the 6. How does presentative pain differ Federal Convention? (6) Who the au- from representative pain? Give your thors of the Federalist? (c) Who was opinion of the following: Expressing the first Chief Justice under the Con- a passion gives relief. Refuse to exstitution? (d) What Chief Justice of the press a passion and it dies. U. S. 'served longest? (e) Who is now 7. Name the “Categories” and their the oldest member of the Supreme peculiarities. Court of the United States?
8. Do sensation and feeling accom3. Distinguish between the terms pany willing? Explain.
4. How should punctuation be taught in connection with reading?
5. What is the value in reading of distinct articulation?
6. What is the value of reading aloud to pupils? What its dangers?
7. How much reading material should pupils have for use?
8. How may the school library be utilized as a help in teaching reading?
9. What might be the result if the end-organs of the optic and olfactory nerves could be interchanged?
10. Will any one thing be completely known before all is known? Explain.
PHYSIOLOGY. 1. Show that the heart does not have "perpetual motion."
2. Why are the intestines so much longer than the body?
3. How and why are the ribs elevated and the diaplıragm lowered in breathing?
4. What is the theory of light?
5. Give function of semicircular canals.
6. Give one example of muscular sensibility and one of general.
7. Give name and source of minerals found in the body.
8. Trace a particle of food from bread to tissue.
9. Show that the stomach is often no more the cause of indigestion than the big toe is of gout.
10. Speak of the use and abuse of stimulants and narcotics.
PHYSICS. 1. A boat in a river displaces 8,000 cubic feet of water; on reaching the ocean it rises so as to displace only 7,800 cubic feet; find the specific gravity of sea water and the weight of the boat.
2. Why is it easier to lift a body by means of a movable pulley than by a fixed pulley? Give the law of equilibrium in case of a movable pulley.
3. To what principles is capillary action due? Give the difference between the terms solution and saturated. Give an illustration of the adhesion of gases to liquids.
4. Draw a figure and explain a turbine.
5. What would be the height of a sulphuric acid barometer (specific gravity of sulphuric acid 1.85) when the mercurial barometer stands 29.35 inches?
6. Explain the process of obtaining the Roentgen rays (X rays). What are some of the most recent discoveries made by their use?
7. What is meant by polarized light? Name any practical application of it.
8. How much ice at 32° is required to cool 10 pounds of mercury at 300° to the freezing point of water?
RHETORIC. 1. Give examples synecdoche, epigram, antithesis.
2. Define sublimity, and give five of the qualities which produce emotion.