« PreviousContinue »
1 SAMUEL, ch. 3—17.
1.5. 1. Saul slayeth the Amalekites, 474. Against a disposition to jus-
16. 1. Samuel anointeth David. 476. Of using the Psalms of David
David standeth before Saul. for our comfort.
17. 1, Goliath challengeth Israel. 477. We ought to cherish a good
David visiteth the camp:
hope of spiritual success.
17. 23. David undertaketh'to fight 478. Motives and helps towards
serving God signally.
17. 42. David slayeth Goliath. The 479. The connexion between hu-
Philistines are routed and spoiled. mility and concern for God'sglory,
1 Samuel, ch. 18—30.
1 Samuel, ch. 31.
holiness unto the end.
temple, is otherwise directed. best possessions to sacred uses.
7. 18. The meditation, and thanks- 515. It is well to commence our
giving, and prayer of David. devotions with meditation.
8. 1. David subdueth many nations; 516. Our gain by being subject
unto Christ our King.
9. 1. David seeketh for Mephibo- 517. The loving kindness of Christ
sheth, and kindly intreateth him. in redeeming the helpless.
10. 1, David chastiseth Hanum for 518. Of God's goodness, and of his
cruel usage of his messengers. severity.
11. 1. David committeth adultery ; 519. The falls of the faithful re-
deviseth to conceal it.
corded for our warning.
11. 14. David exposeth Uriah to 520. The misery of doing that
death; marrieth Bathsheba. which displeases God.
12. 1. David reproved by Nathan 521. The forgiveness assured to
confesseth his sin.
truly penitent believers.
12. 15. David's child dieth. Solomon 522. The Christian's comfort under
is born. Rabbah is taken.
the penalty of death.
13. 1. Amnon forceth Tamar; and 523. That God overruleth all
then hateth her.
things ; whether good, or evil.
13. 19. Absalom slayeth Amnon. 524. The benefit of chastisement.
2 Samuel, ch. 14–24.
threshing floor of Araunah. that which we most value.
The First Book of the Kings, COMMONLY CALLED, the Third Book
OF THE Kings.
0. T. VOL. II. PART IV.