« PreviousContinue »
1 John ii. 15. Love not the World, neither the Things that are in the World. If any Man love the World, the Love of the Father is not in
16. For all that is in the World, the LUST of the FLESH, and the LUST of the EYES, and the PRIDE of LIFE, is not of the Father, but is of the World.
17. And the WORLD paffeth away, and the Lusr thereof: but he that doth the Will of God, abideth for ever.
See the References pag. 79. Of Heavenly-mindedness, and against Couctousness.
Of avoiding Offences. Forgiveness of Trefpaffes. Of the Power of Faith; and the Efficacy of Prayer.
Luke THEN faid he unto the Disciples, It is impoffixvii. 1. ble but that Offences come: but wo unto him through whom they come.
2. It were better for him that a Milftone were hanged about his Neck, and he caft into the Sea, than that he fhould offend one of thefe little ones.
3. Take (a) heed to your felves: If thy Brother tref pafs against thee, rebuke him; and it he repent, forgive him.
(a) Prou. xx. 12. Say not thou, I will recompenfe EVIL, but WAIT on the Lord, and he fhall fave thee.
Chap. xxiv. 29. Say not, I will do fo to him as he hath done to me :
will render to the Man according to his Work.
Rom. xiv. I. Him that is weak in
4. And if he trefpafs against thee feven times in a Day, and feven times in at Day turn again to thee, faying, I repent; thou fhalt forgive him.
the FAITH receive you, but not to doubtful Difputations.
10. But why doft thou judge thy Brother or why doft thou fet at nought thy Brother? for we shall all ftand before the JUDGMENTSEAT of Chrift.
5. And the Apostles faid unto the Lord, INCREASE our FAITH.
6. And the Lord faid, If ye had FAITH as a Grain of Mustard-feed, ye might fay unto this Sycamine Tree, Be thou plucked up by the Root, and be thou planted in the Sca, and it should obey you. 7. But
12. So then every one of us fhall give Account of himself to GOD.
13. Let us not therefore judge one another any more: But judge this rather, that no Man put a STUMBLING BLOCK, or an Occafion to FALL, in his Brother's way.
14. I know and am perfwaded by the Lord Jefus, that there is nothing UNCLEAN of itfelf: but to
7. But which of you hav- him that esteemeth any thing to be
ing a Servant plowing or
unclean, to him it is unclean.
8. And will not rather fay unto him, Make ready wherewith I may fup, and gird thy felf, and ferve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou fhalt eat and drink?
9. Doth he thank that Servant, because he did the Things that were commanded him? I trow not.
19. Let us therefore follow after the Things which make for PEACE, and Things wherewith one may
1 Cor. iv. 12. And labour, working with our own Hands: Being reviled, we blefs: being perfecuted, we suffer it.
1 Theff. v. 15. See that none render EVIL for EVIL unto any Man: but ever follow that which is Goon, among your selves and to all
See the Reference pag. 74, 75°
10. So likewise ye, when ye fhall have done all those things which are commanded you, fay, We are unprofitable Servants: we have done that which was our Duty to do.
Matt. xviii. 15. Moreover, if thy Brother fhall TRESPASS against thee, go and tell him his Fault between him and thee alone: if he fhall hear thee, thou hast gained thy Brother.
16. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the Mouth of two or three Witneffes every Word may be eftablished.
17. And if he fhall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the Church: but if he neglect to hear the Church, let him be unto thee as an Heathen Man and a Publican.
18. Verily I fay unto you, Whatsoever ye fhall BIND on EARTH, fhall be bound in HEAVEN: and whatsoever ye fhall LOOSE ON EARTH, fhall be LOOSED in HEAVEN. 19. Again, I fay unto that if two of you, fhall
agree on Earth, as touching any think that they fhall afk,
it fhall be done for them of my Father which is in Hea
20. For where two or three are gathered together in my Name, there am I in the midst of them.
* See the Nature and Efficacy of PSALMS, pag. Ixiii. PRAYER, in the Harmony of the
21. Then came Peter to him, and faid, Lord, how oft fal my Brother fin against me, and I FORGIVE him? till foven times?
22. Jefus faith unto him, 1 fay not unto thee, Until feven times: but, until feventy times feven.
23. Therefore is the Kingdom of Heaven likened unto a certain King, which would take account of his Servants.
24. And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thoufand Talents.
25. But forafmuch as he had not to pay, his Lord commanded him to be fold, and his Wife and Children, and all that he had, and Payment to be made.
26. The Servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, faying, Lord, have Patience with me, and I will pay
27. Then the Lord of that Servant was moved with Compaffion, and loofed him, and forgave him the Debt.
28. But the fame Servant went out, and found one of his fellow Servants which owed him an hundred Pence : and he laid hands on him, and took him by the Throat, faying, Pay me that thou oweft.
29. And his fellow Servant fell down at his Feet, and befought him, faying, Have Patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
30. And he would not but went and caft him into Prifon till he fhould pay the Debt.
31. So when his fellow Servants faw what was done, they were very forry, and came and told unto their Lord all that was done.
32. Then his Lord, after that he had called him, faid unto him, O thou wicked Servant, I FORGAVE thee all that Debt, becaufe thou defiredft me:
33. Shouldft not thou alfo have had Compaffion on thy fellow Servant, even as I had Pity on thee?
34. And his Lord was wroth, and delivered him to the Tormenters, till he fhould pay all that was due unto him.
35. So likewife fhall my heavenly Father do alfo unto you, if ye from your Hearts FORGIVE not every one his Brother their TRESPASSES,
1. CHRIST preacheth to his Difciples to avoid Hypocrify, and Fearfulness in publishing his Doctrine. 13. Warneth the People to beware of Covetousness, by the Parable of the rich Man, who set up greater Barns. 22. We must not be over careful of earthly Things; 31. but feek the Kingdom of God. 33. Give Alms. 36. Be ready at a knock to open to our Lord whenfoever he cometh. 41. CHRIST's Minifters are to fee to their Charge, 49. and look for Perfecution. 54. The People must take this Time of Grace, 58. because it is a fearful thing to die without Reconciliation.
Of the Leaven of the Pharifees, which is Hypocrify.
Ver. 1. N the mean time, when there were gathered together an innumerable Multitude of People, infomuch that they trode one upon another, he began to fay unto his Difciples first of all, (a) BEWARE ye of the LEAVEN of the Pharifees, which is HYPO
(a) Ifaiab lviii. 1. Cry aloud, fpare not, lift up thy Voice like a Trumpet, and fhew my People their Tranfgreffion, and the House of Jacob their SINS.
2. Yet they feek me daily, as a Nation that did Righteousness, and forfook not the ORDINANCE of their GOD.
4. Behold, ye faft for STRIFE and DEBATE, and to fmite with the Fift of Wickednefs; ye fhall not faft as ye do this Day, to make your Voice to be heard on high.
Jer. xii. 2. Thou haft planted them, yea, they have taken root:
they grow, yea, they bring forth Fruit; thou art near in their Mouth, and far from their Reins.
Micah iii. 11. The Heads thereof judge for Reward, and the PRIESTS thereof teach for HIRE, and the PROPHETS thereof DIVINE for MONEY: yet will they LEAN upon the Lord, and fay, Is not the Lord among us? none EVIL can come upon us.
Matt. xv. 7. Ye HYPOCRITES, well did Efaias prophesy of you, faying,
8. This People draweth nigh unto me with their MOUTH, and honoureth me with their LIPS: but their HEART is far from me. 9. But in vain they do WORSHIP me, teaching for Doctrines the COMMANDMENTS of Men.
Rom. ii. 17. Behold thou art called a Jew, and restest in the Law, and makeft thy boast of GOD;
18. And knoweft his Will, and approveft the Things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the Law,
19. And art confident that thou thy felf art a Guide of the Blind, a Light of them which are in Darkness,
20. An Instructer of the Foolish, a Teacher of Babes, which haft the Form of Knowledge, and of the Truth in the LAW.
21. Thou therefore which teachest another, teacheft thou not thy felf?
23. Thou that makeft thy BOAST of the Law, through breaking the LAW, DISHONOUREST thou GOD?
Chap. x. 1. Brethren, my Heart's Defire and Prayer to God for Ifrael is, that they might be faved.
2. For I bear them record, that they have a Zeal of God, but not according to Knowledge.
3. For they being ignorant of God's RIGHTEOUSNESS, and going about to establish their own RIGHTEOUSNESS, have not submitted themselves unto the RIGHTEOUSNESS of God.
2 Tim. iii. 5. Having a Form of Godliness, but denying the Power thereof: from fuch turn away.
8. Now as Jannes and Jambres withftood Mofes, so do these alfo refift the TRUTH: Men of corrupt Minds, reprobate concerning the FAITH.
Titus i. 15. Unto the Pure all Things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving, is nothing pure; but even their MIND and CONSCIENCE is defiled.
16. They PROFESS that they KNOW God; but in Works they deny him being abominable and disobedient, and unto every good Work reprobate.
Rev. iii. 14. And unto the Angel of the Church of the Laodiceans, write, Thefe things faith the AMEN, the FAIFHFUL and TRUE Witness, the Beginning of the Creation of God;
15. I know thy Works, that thou art neither COLD noг HOT: I would thou wert COLD or HOT.
16. So then because thou art LUKEWARM, and neither COLD Boг HOT, I will fpue thee out of my Mouth.