« PreviousContinue »
1 John ii, 15. Love not the World, neither the Things that are in the World. If any Man love the World, the Love of the Father is not in him.
16. For all that is in the World, the Lust of the Flesh, and the Lust of the EYES, and the PRIDE of LIFE, is not of the Father, but is of the World.
17. And the WORLD passeth away, and the Lust thereof : but he that doch the Will of God, abidech for ever. See the References pag. 79. Of Heavenly-mindedness, and againft Cove
of avoiding Offences. Forgiveness of
Trespasses. Of the Power of Faith;
and the Efficacy of Prayer. Luke
HEN faid he unto the Disciples, It is impoflixvii. 1. ble but will come him through whom they come.
2. It were better for him that a Milftone were hanged about his Neck, and he caft into the Sea, than that he Should offend one of these little ones. 3. Take (a) heed to your
(a) Prov. XX. 12. Say not thou, felves: If thy Brother tref
I will recompense Evil, but WAIT pass against thee, rebuke him; on the Lord, and he shall save thee. and if he repent, forgive him. Chap. xxiv. 29. Say not, I will 4. And if he trespass a
do so to him as he hath done to me :
I will render to the Man according gainst thee feven times in a to his work. Day, and seven times in a Rom. xiv, 1. Him that is weak in Day turn again to thee, fay- the Earth receive you, but not to
doubtful Disputations. ing, I repent; thou shalt for
10. But why doit choui judge thy
Brother ? or why dolt thou set at 5. And the Apostles said nought thy Brother? for we shall
all Itand before the JUDGMENTunto the Lord, INCREASE
SEAT of Christ. our Faith.
12. So chen every one of us shall 6. And the Lord said, If give Account of himself to God. ye had Faith as a Grain of 13. Let us not therefore judge
one another any more : But judge Mustard-feed, ye might say this rather, that no Man put a unto this Sycamine Tree, Be STUMBLING-BLOCK, or an Occathou plucked up by the Root,
fion to FALL, in his Brother's way.
14. I know and am perswaded by and be thou planted in the the Lord Jesus, that there is noSca, and it should obey you. thing UNCLEAN of itself : but to
7. But which of you hav- him that esteemeth any thing to be
unclean, to him it is unclean. ing a Servant plowing or
15. But if thy Brother be grieved feeding Cattle, will say unto with thy Meat, now walkeit thou him by and by, when he is not CHARITABLY. Destroy not come from the Field, Go, and him with thy Meat, for whom Chrift
died. fit down to Meat ?
19. Let us therefore follow after 8. And will not rather say the Things which make for PEACE, unto him, Make ready where- and Things wherewith one may
EDIFY another. with I may sup, and gird 1 Cor. iv. 12, And labour, work. thy self, and serve me, till I ing with our own Hands : Being have eaten and drunken; and reviled, we bless : being persecuted,
we suffer it, afterward thou shalt eat and
1 Theff. v. 15. See that none rendrink?
der Evil for Evil unto any Man: 9. Doth he thank that þut ever follow that which is goon, Servant, because he did the
both among your selves and to ali
Men. Things that were commanded him? I trow not.
See the Reference pag. 74, 78• 10. So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are command. ed you, say, We are unprofitable Servants : we have done that which was our Duty to do.
Matt. xviii. 15. Moreover, if thy Brother shall TRESPass against thee, go and tell him his Fault between him and thee alone : if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy Brother,
16. But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the Mouth of two or three Witnelles every word may be established.
17. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the Church : but if he neglect to hear the Church, let him be unto thee as an Heathen Man and a Publican.
18. Verily I say unto you, whatsoever ye shall BIND ON Earth, shall be bound in HEAVEN : and whatsoever ye Shall Loose On EARTH, shall be LOOSED in HEAVEN.
19. Again, * I say unto you, that if two of
* See the Nature and Efficacy of agree on Earth, as touching PSALMS, pag. Ixiii.
PRAYER, in the Harmony of the any think that they shall alk, it 'shall be done for them of my Father which is in Heaven.
20. For where two or three are gathered together in my Name, there am l in the midst of them.
21. Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft sal my Brother sin against me, and I FORGIVE him ? ill fiven times ?
22. Jesus faith unto him, 1 say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, until seventy times feven.
23. Therefore is the Kingdom of Heaven likened unto a certain King, which would take account of his Servants.
24. And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand Talents.
25. But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his Lord commanded him to be fold, and his wife and Children, and all that he had, and Payment to be made.
26. The Servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have Patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
27. Then the Lord of that Servant was moved with Compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the Debt.
28. But the fame Servant went out, and found one of his fellow Servants which owed him an hundred Pence : and he laid hands on him, and took him by the Throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.
29. And his fellow Servant fell down at his Feet, and befought him, saying, Have Patience with me, and I will
30. And he would not : but went and cast him into Prison till he should pay the Debt.
31. So when his fellow Servants saw what was done, they were very forry, and came and told unto their Lord ali that was done.
32. Then his Lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked Servant, I FORGAVE thee all that Debt, because thou defiredst me:
33. Shouldst not thou also have had Compassion on thy fellow Servant, even as I had Pity on thee?
34. And his Lord was wroth, and delivered him to the Tormenters, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
35. So likewisc Mall my heavenly Father do also unto you,
from your Hearts FORGIVE not every one his Brother their TRESPASSES,
pay thee all.
1. CHRIST preacheth to his Disciples to avoid Hypo
crisy, and Fearfulness in publisming bis Doctrine. 13. Warneth the People to beware of Covetoufzejs, by the Parable of the rich Man, whoset up greater Barns. 22. We must not be over careful of earthly Things; 31. but seek the Kingdom of God. 33. Give Alms. 36. Be ready at a knock to open to our Lord whenfoever he cometb. 41. CHRIST'S Ministers are to see to their Charge, 49. and look for Persecution. 54. The People must take this Time of Grace, 58. because it is a fearfish thing to die without Reconciliation,
Of the Leaven of the Pharisees, which is
Ver. 1.89 E N the mean time, when there were ga.
thered together an innumerable Multi1
tude of People, insomuch that they trode one upon another, he began to say un
to his Disciples first of all, (a) BEWARE ye of the LEAVEN of the Pharisees, which is HYPO
(a) Isaiah lviii
. 1. Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy Voice like a 'Trumpet, and thew my People their Transgression, and the House of Jacob their Sins.
2. Yet they seek me daily, as a Nation that did Righteousness, and forfook not the ORDINANCE of their God. 4.
Behold, ye fast for Strife and Debate, and to smite with the Fift of Wickednets; ye shall not fast as ye do this Day, to make your
Voice to be heard on high. Fer. xii. 2. Thou bait planted them, yea, they have taken root: they grow, yea, they bring forth Fruit; thou art near in their Mouth, and far from their Reins.
they 17. Be
Micab iii. 11. The Heads thereof judge for Reward, and the Priests thereof teach for Hire, and the Prophets thereof diViNE for MONEY: yet will they LEAN upon the Lord, and say, Is not the Lord among us? none Evil can come upon us.
Matt. xv. 7. Ye HYPOCRITES, well did Efaias prophesy of you, faying,
8. This People draweth nigh unto me with their Mouth, and honoureth me with their Lips : but their Heart is far from me.
9. But in vain they do WORSHIP me, teaching for Doctrines thé COMMANDMENTS of Men.
Rom. ii. 17. Behold thou art called a Jew, and restest in the Law, and makest thy boast of God; 18. And knowest his Will
, and approvest the Things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the Law,
19. And art confident that thou thy self art a Guide of the Blind, a Light of them which are in Darkness,
20. An Instructer of the Foolish, a Teacher of Babes, which haft the form of Knowledge, and of the Truth in the Law.
21. Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thy felf?
23. Thou that makest thy Boast of the Law, through breaking the Law, DISHONOURËST thou God?
Chap. x. 1. Brethren, my Heart's Desire and Prayer to God for Ifrael is, that they might be saved.
2. For I bear them record, that they leave a Zeal of God, but not according to Knowledge.
3. For they being ignorant of God's RightEOUSNESS, and going about to establish their own RIGHTEOUSNESS, have not submitted themselves unto the RIGHTEOUSNESS of God.
2 Tim. iii. 5. Having a form of Godliness, but denying the Power thereof : from such turn away.
8. Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Mofes, so do these also refiit the TRUTH : Men of corrupt Minds, reprobate concerning the FAITH.
Titus i. 15. Unto the Purc all Things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving, is nothing pure ; but even their Mind and CONSCIENCE is defiled.
16. They PROFESS that they know God; but in Works they deny him : being abominable and disobedient, and unto every good Work reprobate.
Rev. ii. 14. And unto the Angel of the Church of the Laodi. ceans, write, These things faith the Amen, the FAIFHFUL and TRUE Witness, the Beginning of the Creation of God;
15. I know thy Works, that thou art neither COLD nor rot : I would thou wert Cold or not.
16. So then because thou art LUKEWARM, and neither COLD Bor not, I will spue thee out of