« PreviousContinue »
of God, [M.] command that Chap. iv: 3. But if our Gospel be
hid, 'tis bid to them that are Toft: these Stones be made Bread.
4. In whom the God of this But[L.]Jefus answered him, World hath blinded the Minds of saying, It is written, * That them which BELIEVE not, left the Man shall not live by Bread Light of the glorious Gospel of
Christ, who is the IMAGE of God, alone, [M.] but by every Word should shine unto them. that proceedeth out of the i Cor. x. 13. There hath no Mouth of God. Then the De
Temptation taken you, but such
as is common to Man: but Gon is vil taketh him up into the FAITHFUL, who will not suffer holy City, [L.] and brought you to be TEMPTED above that ye him to Jerusalem, and feta are ATLE; but will with the Tems. teth him on a Pinnacle of the that ye may be able to BEAR it.
TATioN also make a Way to escape, Temple, [M.] and faith unto 2 Cor. xi. 3. But I fear lest by any him, "If thou be the Son of means, as the SERPENT beguiled
Eve through his Subtilty, so your God, cast thy self down from Minds should be corrupted from hence; for it is written, He the Simplicity that is in Christ
. Shall give his Angels charge
13. For such are false Apostles,
deceitful Workers, transforming, concerning thee, [L.] to keep themselves into the Apostles of thee. And in their Hands Christ. they shall bear thee up, left 14. And no marvel; for SATAN
himself is transformed into an Anat any Time thou dash thy gel of Light. Foot against a Stone. And
Chap. xii. 7. And left I should Fesus answering, said unto be exalted above measure through him, It is [M] written, Thou there was given to me a Thorn shalt not tempo
the Lord thy in the Flesh, the MESSENGER of God. Again, the Devil tak- SATAN to buffet me. erh him up into an exceeding Lord thrice, that it might depart
8. For this Thing I befought the high Mountain, and shewerh from me. him all the Kingdoms of the 9. And he said unto me, My World, and the Glory of GRACE is fufficient for thee : for them, [L] in a Moment of my Strength is made perfed in
Weakness. Time, [M.] and faith unto Ephef. vi. 10. Finally, my Brehim, All these Things will I thren, be strong in the Lord, and give thee, if thou wilt fall in the Power of his Might.
1. Put on the whole Armour of down and worship me, [L.] God, that ye may be able to stand and all the Power will I give against the Wiles of the Devil. thee, and the Glory of them ; Flesh and Blood, but against Prinfor that is delivered unto me, CIPALITIES, against Powers, 2and to whomsoever I will, I gainst the Rulers of the Darkgive it: If thou therefore wilt NESS of this world, against sri
RITUAL WICKEDNESS in high worship nie, all shall be thine. Places. [1.] Pefits answered and said 13. Wherefore take unto you the unto him,[21.] Get thee (L.) whole Armour of God, that
evil See Delf.viii. 2, 3;
behind me, Satan: for it is evil Day; and having done all, to written, Thou shalt worship stand. the LORD thy God, and Him
16. Above all, taking the SHIELD only shalt thou serve. And able to quench all the FIERY Darts
of Faith, wherewith ye shall be when the Devil had ended all of the WICKED. the TEMPTATION, [M.] he
1 Theff. iii. 5. For this Cause, when leaveth him ; and behold, know your faith, left by some
I could no longer forbear, I sent to ANGELS came and miniftred Means the Tempten have remPTA unto him.
ED you, and our Labour be in vain.
2 Tim. ii. 25. In Meekness in. fructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them Repentance to the acknowledging of the Truth;
26. And that they may recover chemlelves out of the SNARE of the DEVIL, who are taken CAPTIVE by him at his Will.
Heb. ii. 14. Forasmuch then as the Children are Partakers of Flesh anc Blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same: that through Death he might destroy him that had the Power of DEATH, that is, the DEVIL ;
15. And DELIVER them, who through Fear of Death were all their Life-time subject to Bondage.
16. For verily he took not on him the Nature of Angels; but he took on him the Seed of Abraham.
17; Wherefore in all Things it behoved him to be made like unto his Brethren ; that he might be à MERCIFUL and FAITHFUL High Priest, in Things pertaining to God, to make Reconciliation for the Sins of the People.
18. Por in that he himself hath sUFFERED being TEMPTED, he is able to SUCCOUR them that are TEMPTED.
Chap. iv. 14: Seeing then that we have a great High PRIEST, that is passed into the Heavens, Jes14 the Son of God, let us hold fait our Profeflion.
15. For we have not an High Priest which cannot be touched with the Feeling of our Infirmities; but was in all Points TEMPTED like as we are, yet without Sin.
16. Let us therefore come Golvly unto the THRONE of Grace, that we may obtain MERCY, and find GRACE to help in Time of need.
James i. 2. My Brethren, count it all Joy when ye fall into DIVERS TEMPTATIONS :
3. Knowing this, that the TRYING of your Faith workech PaTIENCE.
12. Blessed is the Man that endurech TEMPTATION : for when he is tried, he shall receive the Crown of LIFE, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
13. Let no Man say when he is TEMPTED, I am TEMPTED of God : for God cannot be TEMPTED with Evil, neither TEMPTeth he any Man.
14. But every Man is TEMPTED, when he is drawn away of his own Luít, and enticed.
Chap. iv. 7. Submit your selves therefore to Gon; RESIST the DEVIL, and he will flee from you.
i Pet. v. 8. Be sober, be vigilant; because your ADVERSARY thc DeVIL, as a roaring Lion, wal keth about seeking whom he may devour.
9. Whom relist stedfast in the Faith. i Tobn ii. 14. I have written unto you, young Men, because ye are Strong, and the Word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the WICKED ONE.
Chap. v. 18. We know that whosoever is born of God linneth not, but he that is begotten of God, keepeth himself, and that WICKED ONE toucheth him not.
Chap. iii. 8. He that committeth Sin, is of the DEVIL; for the Devil finneth from the Beginning. For this purpose the Son of GOD was manifested, that he might DESTROY the WORKS of the Devil.
Rev. ii. 10. Be thou FAITHFUL unto Death, and I will give thee a CROWN of Life.
12. And to the Angel of the Church in Pergamos, write,
13. I know thy Works, and where thou dwellest, even where SATAN'S Seat is; and thou holdest fast my Name, and hast not denied my Faith, even in those Days wherein Antipas was my faithful Martyr, who was ftain among you, where Satan dwelleth.
Chap. xil. 7. And there was War in Heaven ; Michael and his Angels fought against the Dragon, and the Dragon fought and his Angels;
8. And prevailed not, neither was their Place found any more in Hea9. And the great Dragon was cast out, that old Serpent, called the DEVIL and SATAN, which DECEIVETH the whole World : He was Galt out into the Earth, and his Angels were cast out with him.
10. And I heard a loud Voice, saying in Heaven, Now is come SALVATION, and STRENGTH, and the Kingdom of our God, and the Power of his Chrift: for the Accuser of our Brethren is cast down, which ACCUSED them before our God Day and Night.
11. And they overcame him by the BLOOD of the LAMB, and by the Word of their Teftimony; and they loved not their Lives unto the Death.
12. Therefore rejoice, ye Heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Wo to the Inhabiters of the Earth, and of the Sea : for the Devil is come down unto you, having great Wrath, because he knoweth that he hach but a short Time.
The Calling of the Disciples.
ND Jesus walking by the Sea of Galilee, faw iv.18. two Brethren, Simon, called Peter, and Andrew his Brother, casting a Net into the Sea : (for they were Fishers)
19. And he faith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you Fithers of MEN.
20. And they straightway left their Nets, and followed him.
21. And going on from thence, he saw other two Brethren, James the Son of Zebedee, and John his Brother, in a Ship with Zebedee their Father, mending their Nets : and he called them.
22. And they immediately left the Ship and their Father, and followed him.
Mark ji. 13. And he went furth again by the Sea-side, and all the Multitude reforted unto him, and he taught them.
14. And as he passed by, be saw Levi the Son of Alpheus fitting at the Receipt of Custom, and said unto him, Follow me: And he arofe and followed him.
John i. 43. The Day following, Jesus would go forth into Galilee, and findeth Philip, and faith unto him, Follow me.
44. Now Philip was- of Bethfaida, the City of Andrew and Peter.
45. Philip findeth Nathanael, and faith unto him, We have found him of whom Moses in the Law and the PROPHETS did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the Son of Foseph.
46. And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good Thing come out of Nazareth ? Philip faith unto him, Come and see.
47. Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and faith of him, Behold an Ifraelite indeed, in whom is no Guile.
48. Nathanael saith unto him, Whence knoweft thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him, Before that Philip called thee, when thou waft under the Fig-Tree, I faw thee.
49. Nathanael answered and faith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God, thou art the King of Israel.
50. Jesus answered and said unto him, Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the Fig-Tree, BELIEVEST thou? Thou shalt see greater Things than these.
Sl. And he faith unto him, Verily, verily I say unto you, Hereafter you fall see HEAVEN opened, and the Angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man.
Mark iii. 13. And he goeth up into a Mountain, and calleth unto him whom he would : and they came unto him.
14. And he ordained TWELVE, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to PREACH:
15. And to have power to heal SICKNESSES, and to caft out Devils.
16. And Simon he firnamed Peter.
17. And James the Son of Zebedee, and John the Brother of Fames, and he firnamed them Boanerges, which is, The Sons of Thunder) 18. And Andrew, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and
Matthew, and Thomas, and James the Son of Alpheus, and Thaddeus, and Simon the Canaanite,
19. And Judas Iscariot, which also betrayed him.
CHRIST's Instructions to bis Disciples.
ND when he had called unto him his TWELVE X. I. Disciples, he gave them Power against unclean SPIRITS, to caft' them out, and to heal all manner of SICKNESS, and all manner of Disease.
5. And Fesus sent them forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the Way of the Gentiles, and into any City of the Samaritans enter ye not.
6. But go rather to the loft Sheep of the House of Israel.
7. And as ye go, preach, saying, The KINGDOM of Heaven is at hand :
8. Heal the Sick, cleanse the LEPERS, raise the DEAD, caft out Devils: freely ye have received, freely give.
9. Provide neither Gold, nor Silver, nor Brass in your Purses :
10. Nor Scrip for your Journey, neither two Coats, neither Shoes, nor yet Staves: (for the Workman is worthy of his Meat)
11. And into whatsoever City or Town" ye shall enter, enquire who in it is worthy, and there abide till ye go thence.
12. And when ye come into an House, salute it.
13. And if the House be worthy, let your Peace come upon it : but if it be not worthy, let your Peace return to you.
14. And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your WORDS: when ye depart out of that House, or City, shake off the Dust of
15. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the Land of Sodom and Gomorrah, in the Day of Judgment, than for that City.
16. Behold (a) I send you () John xvi. 1. These Things forth, as SHEEP in the midst have I spoken unto you, that ye of Walves : be ye therefore should not be offended.
2. They shall put you out of the wise as Serpents, and harm- Synagogues : yea, the Time cometh, less as Doves.
that whosoever KILLETH you will 17. But beware of Men, think that he doch Gon Service.
3. And these Things will they do for