« PreviousContinue »
not that BREAD from Heaven; but my Father giveth you the TRUE BREAD from Heaven.
33. For the BREAD of God is he which cometh down from. Heaven, and giveth LIFE unto the World. 34. Then faid they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this Bread.
35. And Jefus faid unto them, I am the BREAD of LIFE: he that COMETH to me, fhall never HUNGER; and he that BELIEVETH on me, fhall never THIRST.
36. But I faid unto you, that ye also have seen me, and believe not.
37. All that the Father giveth me, fhall COME to me; and him that cometh to me, I will in no wife
38. For I came down from Heaven, not to do mine own Will, but the WILL of him that fent me.
39. And this is the Father's WILL which hath fent
41. The Jews then murmured at him, because he
thou wouldst KEEP his Commandments, or no.
3. And he HUMBLED thee, and fuffered thee to hunger, and FED thee with MANNA (which thou knewest not, neither did thy Fathers know) that he might make thee KNOW, that Man doth not LIVE by BREAD only, but by every WORD that proceedeth out of the Mouth of the Lord doth Man LIVE.
Pfal. xix. 7. The LAW of the Lord is perfect, CONVERTING the SOUL: the Teftimony of the Lord is fure, making WISE the fimple.
8. The STATUTES of the Lord are right, REJOICING the Heart: the Commandment of the Lord is pure, ENLIGHTNING the EYES.
9. The FEAR of the Lord is clear, enduring for ever: the Judgments of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether.
10. More to be DESIRED are
they than Gold, yea, than much fine Gold: fweeter also than Ho
NEY, and the Honey-comb.
Pfal. cxix. 103. How fweet are thy Words unto my Taste ! yea, fweeter than HONEY to my Mouth.
Prov. viii. 11. For WISDOM is better than RUBIES; and all the Things that may be desired, are not to be compared to it.
Ifai. lv. 1. Ho, every one that THIRSTETH, come ye to the Wa
ters, and he that hath no Money; come ye, buy and eat, yea, come buy WINE and MILK without Money, and without Price.
2. Wherefore do ye spend Money for that which is not BREAD? and your Labour for that which fatiffieth not? Hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your SOUL delight itself in Fatnefs.
defire the fincere MILK of the WORD, that ye may grow thereby.
1 Pet. ii. 2. As new-born Babes,
Rev. ii. 17. He that hath an Ear, let him hear what the Spiris faith
unto the Churches, To him that OVERCOMETH, Will I give to eat of the HIDDEN MANNA.
faid, I am the Bread which came down from Heaven. 42. And they faid, Is not this fefus, the Son of Jofeph, whofe Father and Mother we know? How is it then that he faith, I came down from Heaven?
43. Fefus therefore answered and faid unto them, Murmur not among yourselves,
44. No Man can come to me, except the Father which hath fent me, draw him: and I will raise him up at the laft Day.
45. It is written in the Prophets, And they fhall be all TAUGHT of GOD. Every Man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.
46. Not that any Man hath feen the Father, fave he which is of God, he hath feen the Father.
47. Verily, verily (b) I fay unto you, He that BELIEVETH on me, hath everlasting LIFE.
48. I am that BREAD of LIFE.
49. Your Fathers did eat MANNA in the Wilderness, and are dead.
50. This is the BREAD which cometh down from Heaven, that a Man may eat thereof, and not die.
51. I am the LIVING BREAD which came down from Heaven: if any Man eat of this Bread, he fhall live for ever: and the Bread that I will give is my Flefh, which I will give for the
Life of the World.
52. The Jews therefore ftrove amongst themselves, faying, How can this Man give us his Flefh to eat?
53. Then Jefus faid unto them, Verily, verily I fay unto you, Except ye cat the Flesh of the Son of Man,
(b) 1 John ii. 25. And this is the
Chap. iv. 10. Herein is Love,
11. Beloved, if God fo loved us, we ought alfo to love one another.
12. No Man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his Love is perfected in us.
13. Hereby know we that we he hath given us of his Spirit. dwell in him, and he in us, because
1 Pet. 1. 3. Bleffed be the God
ble, and undefiled, and that fadeth
of God, through FAITH unto SAL-
VATION, ready to be revealed in
cometh will I grant to fit with me
Rev. iii. 21. To him that over
Daniel xii. 2. And many of them
that fleep in the Duft of the Earth
fhine as the Brightness of the Fir-
SIN IS DEATH: but the GIFT of
Col. iii. 3. For ye are dead, and your LIFE is hid with Chrift in God.
4. When Chrift, who is our LIFE, appear, then shall ye also appear with him in GLORY.
1 Tim. i. 16. Howbeit, for this Caufe I obtained Mercy, that in me first Jefus Chrift might fhew forth them which fhould hereafter BEall Long. fuffering, for a Pattern to LIEVE in him, to Life everlasting.
1 John iv. 9. In this was manifefted the Love of God towards us, because that God fent his only begotten Son into the World, that we might LIVE through him.
58. This is that Bread which came down from Heaven: not as your Fathers did eat MANNA, and are Dead: he that eateth of this Bread, fhall live for ever.
59. Thefe Things faid he in the Synagogue, as he taught in Capernaum.
60. Many therefore of his Difciples, when they had heard this, faid, This is an hard Saying, who can hear it ? 61. When Jefus knew in himself, that his Difciples murmured at it, he faid unto them, Doth this offend you? 62. What and if ye fhould fee the Son of Man ASCEND up where he was before?
63. It is the SPIRIT that QUICKNETH, the Flefh profiteth nothing: the Words that I fpeak unto you, they are SPIRIT, and they are LIFE.
64. But there are fome of you that believe not. For Fefus knew from the Beginning, who they were that believed not, and who fhould betray him.
65. And he faid, Therefore faid I unto you, that no Man can come unto me, except it were given him of my Father.
66. From that time, many of his Difciples went back, and walked no more with him.
67. Then faid Jefus unto the Twelve, Will ye
68. Then Simon Peter anfwered him, Lord, to whom fhall we go? Thou haft the Words of Eternal LIFE. 69. And we believe, and are fure that thou art that Chrift, the Son of the LIVING GOD.
70. Jefus anfwered them, Have not I chofen you twelve, and one of you is a Devil?
71. He fpake of Judas Iscariot, the Son of Simon: for he it was that fhould betray him, being one of the Twelve.
Mark TN thofe Days the Multitude being very great, and IN viii. 1. having nothing to eat, Jefus called his Difciples unto him, and faith unto them,
2. I have Compaffion on the Multitude, because they have now been with me three Days, and have nothing to
3. And if I fend them away fafting to their own Houfes, they will faint by the Way: for divers of them came from far.
And his Difciples anfwered him, From whence can a Man fatisfy thefe Men with Bread here in the Wilderness? 5. And he asked them, How many Loves have ye? And they faid, Seven.
6. And he commanded the People to fit down on the Ground: and he took the feven Loaves, and gave Thanks, and brake, and gave to his Difciples to fet before them: and they did fet them before the People.
7. And they had a few fmall Fifhes: and he bleffed, and commanded to fet them alfo before them.
8. So they did eat, and were filled: and they took up of the broken Meat that was left, feven Baskets.
9. And they that had eaten were about four thousand, and he fent them away.
10. And ftraightway he entred into a Ship with his Difciples, and came into the Parts of Dalmanutha.
11. And the Pharifees came forth, and began to quef
tion with him, seeking of him a Sign from Heaven, tempting him.
12. And he fighed deeply in his Spirit, and faith, Why doth this Generation feek after a Sign? Verily I fay unto you, There fhall no Sign be given to this Generation.
13. And he left them, and entring into the Ship again, departed to the other fide.
14. Now the Difciples had forgotten to take Bread, neither had they in the Ship with them more than one Loaf. 15. And he charged them, faying, Take heed, beware of the Leaven of the Pharifees, and of the Leaven of Herod.
16. And they reafoned among themselves, faying, It is because we have no Bread.
17. And when Jefus knew it, he faith unto them, Why reafon becaufe ye, have no Bread? Perceive ye not yet, neither understand? have ye your Heart yet hardned? 18. Having Eyes, fee ye not? and having Ears, hear ye not? and do ye not remember?
19. When I brake the five Loaves among five thousand, how many Baskets full of Fragments took ye up? They fay unto him, Twelve.
20. And when the feven among four thoufand, how many Baskets full of Fragments took ye up? And they faid, Seven.
21. And he faid unto them, How is it that ye do not understand?
Matt. xvi. 11. That I fpake it not to you concerning Bread, that ye fhould beware of the Leaven of the Pharifees, and of the Sadducees?
12. Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the Leaven of Bread, but of the Doctrine of the Pharifees, and of the Sadducees.