« PreviousContinue »
fowed not, and gather where I have not ftrawed: 27. Thou oughteft therefore to have put my Money to the Exchangers, and then at my coming I fhould have received mine own with Ufury.
28. Take therefore the Talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten Talents.
29. For unto every one that hath fhall be given, and he fhall have Abundance: but from him that hath not, fhall be taken away even that which he hath.
30. And caft ye the UNPROFITABLE Servant into outer Darkness: there fhall be weeping and gnashing of Teeth.
CHRIST'S Difcourfe with the Woman of Samaria, of the Living Water; of Divine Grace; and of the Spiritual Worship.
HEN therefore the Lord knew how the Pharifees had heard that Jefus made and baptized more Difciples than John,
2. (Though Jefus himself baptized not, but his Difciples)
3. He left Judea, and departed again into Galilee. 4. And he must needs go through Samaria.
5. Then cometh he to a City of Samaria, which is called Sychar, near to the Parcel of Ground that Jacob gave to his Son Jofeph.
6. Now Jacob's Well was there. Jefus therefore being wearied with his Journey, fat thus on the Well: And it was about the fixth Hour.
7. There cometh a Woman of Samaria, to draw Water: Fefus faith unto her, Give me to drink.
8. For his Difciples were gone away unto the City, to buy Meat.
9. Then faith the Woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou being a few, afkeft Drink of me, which A a 2
12. Art thou greater than our Father Jacob, which gave us the Well, and drank thereof himfelf, and his Children, and his Cattel?
13. Fefus answered and faid unto her, Whofoever drinketh of this Water fhall thirst again:
14. But whofoever drinketh of the Water that I fhall give him, fhall never thirst: but the Water that I fhall give him, fhall be in him a Well of Water, fpringing up into everlasting Life.
15. The Woman faith unto him, Sir, give me this Water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw.
16. Jefus faith unto her, Go, call thy Husband, and come hither.
For the Jews have no Deal
(a) Isei. xliv. 3. I will pour WATER upon him that is THIRSTY, and FLOODs upon the DRY Ground: I will pour my SPIRIT upon thy Seed, and my Blefling upon thine Offspring.
Chap. Iv. 1. Ho, every one that THIRSTETH, Come ye to the Waters, and he that hath no Money: Come ye, BUY and EAT, yea, come buy Wine and Milk without Money, and without Price.
Chap. xxvii. 3. I the Lord do keep it, I will WATER it every Moment; let any hurt it, I will keep it Night and Day.
Pfal. xlii. 1. As the Hart panteth after the Water-Brooks, so panteth my Soul after thee, O God.
Pf. xxxvi. 8. Thou fhalt make them drink of the RIVER of thy
9. For with thee is the FOUNTAIN OF LIFE.
John iii. 5. Feftus answered, Verily, verily I fay unto thee, Except a Man be born of WATER and of the SPIRIT, he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God.
Ephef. v. 26. That he might fanc tify and cleanfe it, with the WASHING of WATER by the Word.
Rev. vii. 17. The LAMB which
is in the midst of the Throne, thall
feed them, and fhall lead them unto LIVING FOUNTAINS OF WATERS: and Gon fhall wipe away all Tears
from their Eyes.
Chap. xxi. 6. And he faid unto me, It is done. I am ALPHA and OMEGA, the Beginning and the End: I will give unto him that is
ATHIRST, of the FOUNTAIN of the WATER OF LIFE freely.
Chap. xxii. 17. And the SPIRIT and the BRIDE fay, Come. And let him that heareth, fay, Come. And let him that is athirit, come: And whofoever will, let him take the WATER of LIFE freely.
17. The Woman anfwered and faid, I have no Husband. Jefus faid unto her, Thou haft well faid, I have no Husband:
18. For thou haft had five Husbands, and he whom
thou now haft is not thy Husband: in that faidst thou truly.
19. The Woman faith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a Prophet.
20. Our Fathers worshipped in this Mountain; and ye fay, that in Jerufalem is the Place where Men ought to worship.
21. Fefus faith unto her, Woman, believe me, the Hour cometh, when ye fhall neither in this Mountain, nor yet at Jerufalem, worship the Father.
22. Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for SALVATION is of the Jews.
Of Spiritual Worship.
cometh, and now is, when the true Worshippers fhall WORSHIP the Father in SPIKIT and in TRUTH: for the Father feeketh fuch to woRSHIP him.
23. But (b) the HOUR (b) Levit. x. 1. And Nadab and Abibu, the Sons of Aaron, took either of them his Cenfer, and put Fire therein, and put Incense thereon, and offered STRANGE FIRE before the Lord, which he com
manded them not.
24. GOD is a SPIRIT, and they that worship him, muft worship him in SPIRIT and
2. And there went out Fire from the Lord, and DEVOURED them, and they died before the Lord.
3. Then Mofes faid unto Aaron, This is it that the Lord (pake, faying, I will be SANCTIFIED in
them that COME NIGH me, and before all the People I will be GLO
Deut. x. 12. And now, Ifrael, what doth the Lord thy God require of thee, but to FEAR the
Lord thy God, to WALK in all his
Pfal. ii. 1. Serve the LORD with Fear, and rejoice with trembling.
PJ. v. 7. But as for me, I will come into thy Houfe in the Multitude of thy Mercies and in thy Fear will I WORSHIP toward thy holy Temple.
Pf. xxix. 2. Give unto the Lord the GLORY due unto his Name; wORSHIP the Lord in the Beauty of HOLINESS.
give the Sacrifice of FOOLS: for they consider not that they do EVIL.
2. Be not RASH with thy Mouth, and let not thine Heart be HASTY to utter any thing before God: for GOD is in Heaven, and thou upon Earth: therefore let thy Words be few.
42. And faid unto the Woman, Now we believe, not because of thy Saying: for we have heard him our felves, and know that this is indeed the Chrift, the SAVIOUR of the World.
Malachi i. 6. A Son honoureth his Father, and a Servant his Mafter: If then I be a Father, where is
my HONOUR ? and if I be a Mafter, where is my FEAR? faith the Lord of Hofts unto you, O Priests, that defpife my Name: and ye fay, Wherein have we defpifed thy
7. Ye offer polluted Bread upon mine Altar; and ye fay, Wherein have we polluted thee? In that ye fay, The Table of the Lord is contemptible.
8. And if ye offer the BLIND for Sacrifice, is it not EVIL? And if ye offer the LAME and SICK, is it not EVIL? Offer it now unto thy Governor, will he be pleafed with thee, or accept thy Perfon? faith the Lord of Hofts.
GoD, that he will be gracious unto
9. And now, I pray you, befeech us: this hath been by your Means: Will he regard your Perfons? faith the LORD of Hosrs.
10. Who is there even among you, that would SHUT the Doors for NOUGHT? Neither do ye kindle Fire on mine Altar for nought. I have no Pleafure in you, faith the LORD of HOSTS, neither will I accept an Offering at your Hand.
11. For from the RISING of the SUN, even unto the GOING DOWN of the fame, my NAME fhall be great among the Gentiles; and in every Place Incenfe fhall be offered unto my Name, and a pure Offering: for my Name fhall be great among the Heathen, faith the Lord of Holts.
12. But ye have protaned it, in that ye fay, The TABLE of the Lord is POLLUTED, and the Fruit thereof, even his Meat, is contemptible.
Chap. ii. 1. And now, O ye Priests, this COMMANDMENT is for you: 3. Behold, I will corrupt your Seed, and spread DUNG upon your Faces, even the DUNG of your folemn FEASTS.
7. For the Priest's LIPS fhould keep KNOWLEDGE, and they should feek the Law at his Mouth: for he is the Meffenger of the Lord of Hofts.
8. But ye are departed out of the WAY: ye have caufed many to ftumble at the Law: ye have corrupted the COVENANT of Levi, faith the Lord of Hofts.
9. Therefore have I also made you CONTEMPTIBLE and BASE before all the People, according as ye have not kept my WAYS, but have been partial in the LAW.
Matt. xv. 8 This People draweth NIGH unto me with their Mouth, and HONOURETH me with their Lips: but their Heart is far from me.
9. But in vain they do WORSHIP me, teaching for Doctrines the Commandments of Men.