« PreviousContinue »
eth out of the Mouth, this with MEATS, which have not prodefileth a Man. Then came therein. fited them that have been occupied his Difciples, and faid unto him, Knoweft thou that the Pharifees were offended, af ter they heard this Saying? But he anfwered and faid, Every Plant which my heavenly Father hath not planted, fhall be rooted up. Let them alone: they be blind Leaders of the Blind. And if the Blind lead the Blind, both fhall fall into the Ditch. Then answered Peter and faid unto him, Declare unto us this Parable. [M.] And Fefus faid, Do not ye yet understand, [Mr.] that whatfoever Thing from without entreth into the Man, it cannot defile him; because it entreth not into his Heart, but [M] goeth into the Belly, and is caft out into the Draught, [Mr.] purging all Meats? And he faid, That which cometh out of the Man, that defileth the Man. For from within, out of the (a) HEART of Men, proceed evil Thoughts, Adulteries, Fornications, Murders, Thefts, Covetoufnefs, [M] Falfe Witnefs, [Mr.] Wickedness, Deceit, Lafcivioufnefs, an evil Eye, Blafphemy, Pride, Foolifhnefs: All thefe evil Things come from within; and [M] thefe are the Things which defile a Man: but to eat with unwafhen Hands, defileth not a Man.
(a) Ger. vi. 5. And God faw that the WICKEDNESS of Man was great at in the Earth, and that every the of his Heart was only EVIL continually.
1 Sam. xvi. 7. For the Lord feeth not as Man feeth; for Man looketh
on the outward Appearance, but the
Pfalm li. 10. Create in me a CLEAN HEART, O God, and renew a RIGHT SPIRIT within me.
Pf. xiv. 1. The Fool hath faid in his Heart, There is NO GOD: They minable Works, there is none that are CORRUPT, they have done abodoth Goon.
Prov. vi. 16. These fix Things doth the LORD hate; yea, feven arc an Abomination unto him:
17. A proud Look,a lyingTongue, and Hands that shed innocent Blood.
that be whole need not a
16. No Man putteth a Piece of new Cloth unto an old Garment: for that which is put in to fill it up, taketh from the Garment, and the Rent is made worse.
17. Neither do Men put new Wine into old Bottles: elfe the Bottles break, and the Wine runneth out, and the Bottles perifh: But they put new Wine into new Bottles, and both are preferved.
Chap. xxviii. 26. He that trusteth in his own Heart, is a Fool: but whofo walketh wifely, he fhall
Ecclef. viii. 11. Because Sentence against an evil Work is not executed speedily; therefore the Heart of to do EVIL. the Sons of Men is fully fet in them
Chap. ix. 3. This is an EVIL among all things that are done under the Sun, that there is one E
vent unto all yea, alfo the Heart
of the Sons of Men is full of EvIL, and MADNESS is in their Heart while they live, and after that they go to the DEAD.
Jerem. xi. 20. But, O Lord of Hefts, that JUDGEST righteously, HEART, let me fee thy Vengeance that TRIEST the REINS and the
on them; for unto thee have I revealed my Caufe.
thine HEART from Wickedness, Chap. iv. 14. O Jerufalem, WASH that thou mayft be faved: how long fhall thy vain Thoughts lodge within thee?
ceitful above all things, and defpeChap. xvii. 9. The Heart is derately wicked, who can know it?
10. I the LORD, fearch the Heart, I try the Reins, even to give every Man according to his WAYS, and according to the Fruit of his DoINGS.
Riches of his Goodness, and For-
he had not first washed before Dinner.
39. And the Lord faid unto him, Now do ye Pharifees make clean the outfide of the Cup and the Platter: but your INWARD PART is full of RAVENING and WICKEDNESS.
40. Ye Fools, did not he that made that which is without, make that which is within alfo?
41. But rather give Alms of fuch things as you have: and behold, all things are clean unto you.
penitentHeart, treasurest up unto thy Telf WRATH against the DAY of WRATH, and Revelation of the
righteous JUDGMENT of GOD;
6. Who will render to every Man according to his Deeds.
Rom. x. 10. For with the Heart Man believeth unto Righteousness; and with the Mouth Confeflion is made unto SALVATION.
Heb. iv. 12. For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and fharper than any two-edged Sword, piercing even to the dividing afun der of Soul and Spirit, and of the Joints and Marrow, and is a Difcerner of the Thoughts and Intents of the Heart.
13. Neither is there any Creature
that is not MANIFEST in his Sight: but all things are naked, and opened to the Eyes of him with whom we have to do.
42. But wo unto you Pharifees: for ye tithe Mint and Rue, and all manner of Herbs, and pass over JUDGMENT and the LOVE of GOD: Thefe ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
43. Wa unto you, Pharifees: for ye love the uppermost Seats in the Synagogues, and Greetings in the Markets.
44. Wo unto you Scribes and Pharifees, HYPOCRITES: for ye are as Graves which appear not, and the Men that walk over them, are not aware of them.
45. Then anfwered one of the Lawyers, and faid unto him, Mafter, thus faying, thou reproachest us alfo.
46. And he faid, Wo unto you alfo, ye Lawyers: for ye lade Men with Burdens grievous to be born, and ye your felves touch not the Burdens with one of your Fingers.
52. Wo unto you, Lawyers: for ye have taken away the Key of Knowledge: ye entred not in your felves, and them that were entring in, ye hindred.
53. And as he faid thefe Things unto them, the Scribes and the Pharifees began to urge him vehemently, and to provoke him to fpeak of many Things;
54. Laying wait for him, and feeking to catch fomething out of his Mouth, that they might accufe him.
Matt. xxiii. 1. Then fpake Jefus to the Multitude, and to his Difciples,
2. Saying, The Scribes and the Pharifees fit in Mofes
3. All therefore whatfoever they bid you obferve, that obferve and do; but do not ye after their Works: for they fay, and do not.
4. For they bind heavy Burdens, and grievous to be born, and lay them on Mens Shoulders, but they themfelves will not move them with one of their Fingers.
5. But all their Works they do, for to be feen of Men: they make broad their Phylacteries, and enlarge the Borders of their Garments,
6. And love the uppermoft Rooms at Feafts, and the chief Seats in the Synagogues,
7. And greetings in the Markets, and to be called of Men, Rabbi, Rabbi.
8. But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ, and all ye are Brethren.
9. And call no Man your Father upon the Earth for one is your Father which is in Heaven.
10. Neither be ye called Mafters for one is your Mafter, even Chrift.
11. But he that is greatest among you, fhall be your Servant.
12. And whofoever fhall EXALT himself, fhall be ABASand he that fhall HUMBLE himself, fhall be Ex
13. But wo unto you Scribes and Pharifees, Hypocrites; for ye fhut up the Kingdom of Heaven against Men: for ye neither go in your felves, neither fuffer ye them that are entring, to go in.
14. Wo unto you Scribes and Pharifees, HYPOCRITES; for ye devour Widows Houfes, and for a Pretence make long Prayer; therefore ye fhall receive the greater DAMNATION.
15. Wo unto you Scribes and Pharifees, HYPOCRITES; for ye compafs Sea and Land to make one Profelyte; and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the Child of Hell than your felves.
16. Wo unto you, ye blind Guides, which fay, Whofoever fhall fwear by the Temple, it is nothing but whofoever fhall fwear by the Gold of the Temple, he is a Debter.
17. Ye Fools, and blind: for whether is greater, the Gold, or the Temple that fanctifieth the Gold?
18. And whofoever fhall fwear by the Altar, it is nothing; but whofoever fweareth by the Gift that is upon it, he is guilty.
19. Ye Fools, and blind: For whether is greater, the Gift, or the Altar that fanctifieth the Gift?
20. Whofo therefore fhall fwear by the Altar, fweareth by it, and by all things thereon.
21. And whofo fhall fwear by the Temple, fweareth by it, and by him that dwelleth therein.
22. And he that fhall fwear by Heaven, fweareth by the Throne of God, and by him that fitteth thereon.
23. Wo unto you Scribes and Pharifees, HYPOCRITES; for ye pay Tithe of Mint, and Anife, and Cummin, and have omitted the weightier Matters of the Law, JUDGMENT, MERCY, and FAITH: thefe ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
24. Ye BLIND GUIDES, which train at a Gnat, and fwallow a Camel.
25. Wo unto you Scribes and Pharifees, HYPOCRITES; for ye make clean the outfide of the Cup and of the Platter, but within they are full EXTORTION and EXCESS.
26. Thou blind Pharifee, cleanfe firft that which is within the Cup and Platter, that the outfide of them may be clean alfo.
27. Wo unto you Scribes and Pharifees, HYPOCRITES; for ye are like unto whited Sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead Mens Bones, and of all uncleanness.
28. Even fo ye alfo outwardly appear RIGHTEOUS unto Men, but within ye are full of HYPOCRISY and INI
29. Wo unto you Scribes and Pharifees, HYPOCRITES; because ye build the Tombs of the Prophets, and garnish the Sepulchres of the Righteous,
30. And fay, If we had been in the Days of our Fathers, we would not have been Partakers with them in the Blood of the Prophets.
31. Wherefore ye be Witneffes unto your felves, that ye are the Children of them which killed the Prophets. 32. Fill ye up then the Measures of your Fathers.
33. Ye Serpents, ye Generation of Vipers, how can ye efcape the Damnation of Hell?
34. Wherefore behold, I fend unto you Prophets, and wife Men, and Scribes; and fome of them ye fhall kill and crucify, and fome of them fhall ye fcourge in your Synagogues, and perfecute them from City to City: