« PreviousContinue »
Sin of Impenitency, and Unbelief; and the fevere Judgments denounced against them.
EWARE therefore, left
BE 40. that come upon you, which is fpoken of in the PROPHETS,
41. Behold, ye Defpifers, and wonder, and PERISH: for I work a Work in your Days, a Work which you fhall in no wife BELIEVE, though a Man declare it unto you.
Rom. i. 18. For the WRATH of God is revealed from Heaven against all UNGODLINESS, and Unrighteoufnefs of Men, who hold the TRUTH in Unrighteousness.
Rom. x. 13. For whofoever fhall call upon the Name of the Lord, fhall be SAVED.
him in whom they have not BE14. How then shall they call on LIEVED?
Chap. xi. 20. Because of Unbelief they were BROKEN off, and not HIGH-MINDED, but FEAR. thou STANDEST by FAITH. Вe
21. For if God fpared not the natural Branches, take heed left he alfo fpare not thee.
Chap. ii. 1. Therefore thou art inexcufable, O Man, whofoever thou art that judgeft: for wherein thou judgeft another, thou condemnelt thy felf; for thou that judgest, dost the fame things.
2. But we are fure that the Judgagainst them which commit fuch ment of GOD is according to Truth, things.
3. And thinkeft thou this, O Man, that judgeft them which do thou fhalt efcape the JUDGMENT OF fuch things, and doft the fame, that GOD?
of his Goodness, and Forbearance, 4. Or defpifeft thou the Riches and Long-fuffering, not knowing that the Goodness of God leadeth thee to Repentance?
5. But after thy hardness and im. penitent
this Generation, and fhall fhould feem to come short of it. condemn it, because they re- preached as well as unto them : but 2. For unto us was the Gospel pented at the Preaching of the Word preached did not profit Jonas, and behold, a greater them, not being mixed with FAITH than Jonas is here.
in them that heard it.
42. The Queen of the South fhall rife up in the Judgment with this Generation, and fhall condemn it: for fhe came from the uttermoft Parts of the Earth to hear the Wisdom of Solomon, and behold, a greater than Solomon is here.
John viii. 24. I said therefore unto you, that ye fhall DIE in your SINS: for if BELIEVE not that I am he, ye fhall DIE in your SINS.
Chap. xii. 47. If any Man HEAR my Words, and BELIEVE not, I JUDGE him not: for I came not to judge the World, but to SAVE the World.
11. Let us labour therefore to en
12. For the Word of God is
ter into that Reft, left any Man fall after the fame Example of Unbelief. quick and powerful, and fharper than any two-edged Sword, piercing even to the dividing afunder of Soul and Spirit, and of the Joints and Marrow, and is a Difcerner of the
Thoughts and Intents of the Heart.
Chap. iii. 12. Take heed, Brethren, left there be in any of you an EVIL HEART of Unbelief, in departing from the LIVING GOD.
17. But with whom was he grieved forty Years? was it not with cafes fell in the Wilderness? them that had finned, whofe Car
18. And to whom fware he that
they fhould not enter into his REST,
but to them that believed not?
19. So we fee that they could not
enter in, because of Unbelief.
Chap. x. 26. For if we fin wILFULLY, after that we have received the Knowledge of the Truth, there remaineth no more Sacrifice for SINS,
27. But a certain fearful looking for of Judgment, and fiery Indignation, which fhall devour the Adverfaries.
28. He that defpifed Mofes Law, DIED without Mercy, under two or three Witnesses :
29. Of how much forer Punish
ment, fuppofe ye, fhall he be thought foot the Son of GOD, and hath worthy, who hath TRODEN under counted the BLOOD of the COVENANT wherewith he was fanctified, an unholy Thing, and hath done Despite unto the SPIRIT of GRACE?
Chap xii. 25. See that ye refuse not him that fpeaketh: For if they efcaped not, who refused him that fpake on Earth, much more fhall not we efcape, if we turn away from him that fpeaketh from Heaven.
1 Pet. iv. 18. And if the Righteous fcarcely be SAVED, where fhall the Ungodly and Sinner appear?
faid unto them, Suppofe ye that thefe Galileans were Sinners above all the Galileans, because they fuffered fuch Things?
I tell you, Nay: but except ye REPENT, ye fhall all likewife PERISH.
4. Or thofe eighteen upon whom the Tower in Siloam fell, and flew them, think ye that they were Sinners above all Men that dwelt in Jerufalem?
5. I tell you, Nay: but except ye REPENT, ye fhall all likewife PERISH.
CHRIST's Answer to the Scribes and Pharifees, upon their demanding what Authority be bad.
Matt. xxi. 23. Mark xi. 27. Luke xx. 1.
ND they come again into Ferufalem, [L.] and it came to pafs, that in one of those Days, [M] when he was come into the Temple, [L.] as he taught the People, and preached the Gofpel, [Mr.] the Chief Priefts and the Scribes, [M.] and the Elders of the People, came unto him, and [Z.] came upon him, and fpake unto him, faying, Tell us, by what Authority doft thou thefe Things? or who is he that gave thee this Authority, [Mr.] to do thefe Things? [M.] And Fefus anfwered and faid unto them, I alfo will afk you one thing, which if ye tell me, I in likewife will tell you by what Authority I do thefe Things: [Mr.] anfwer me, [L.] and tell me, [A1] The Baptifm of John, whence was it? [Mr.] Was it from Heaven, or of Men? answer me. [I.] And they reafoned with themfelves, faying, If we fhall say from Heaven; he will fay, Why then believed ye him not? But and if we fay, of Men, [M] we fear the People; [Z.] all the People will flone us; for they be perfwaded that John was a Prophet for [Mr.] they feared the People, for all Men counted John that he was a Prophet indeed. [L.]
The Converfion of Zaccheus, a Publican. 223 And they answered, that they could not tell whence it was. [Mr.] And they anfwered and faid unto Jefus, We cannot tell. And Jefus anfwering, faith unto them, Neither do I tell you by what Authority I do thefe Things.
The Converfion of Zaccheus, a Publican.
Luke AND fefus entred and paffed through Jericho.
xix. I. And behold, there was a named cheus, which was the Chief among the Publicans, and he was rich.
3. And he fought to fee Jefus who he was, and could not for the Prefs, because he was little of Stature.
4. And he ran before and climbed up into a Sycamore Tree to fee him, for he was to pass that way.
5. And when Fefus came to the Place, he looked up and faw him, and faid unto him, Zaccheus, make hafte, and come down, for to-day I muft abide at thy Houfe.
6. And he made hafte, and came down, and received him joyfully.
7. And when they faw it, they all murmured, faying, That he was gone to be Gueft with a Man that is a Sin
8. And Zaccheus ftood, and faid unto the Lord, Behold, Lord, the half of my Goods I give to the Poor : and if I have taken any thing from any Man by falfe Accufation, I reftore him four-fold.
9. And Fefus faid unto him, This Day is SALVATION come to this Houfe, forfomuch as he alfo is the Son of Abraham.
10. For the Son of Man is come to SEEK, and to SAVE that which was LOST.