« PreviousContinue »
34 CHRIST is tempted by the Devil, and
of GOD, [M.] command that thefe Stones be made Bread. But[L.] Jefus answered him, faying, It is written, That Man fhall not live by Bread alone, [M.] but by everyWord that proceedeth out of the Mouth of God. Then the Devil taketh him up into the holy City, [L.] and brought him to Jerufalem, and fetteth him on a Pinnacle of the Temple, [M] and faith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, caft thy felf down from hence; for it is written, He fhall give his Angels charge concerning thee, [L.] to keep thee. And in their Hands they fhall bear thee up, left at any Time thou dafh thy Foot against a Stone. And Jefus anfwering, faid unto him, It is [M] written, Thou fhalt not tempt the Lord thy God. Again, the Devil taketh him up into an exceeding high Mountain, and fheweth him all the Kingdoms of the World, and the Glory of them, [L.] in a Moment of Time, [M] and faith unto him, All thefe Things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me, [Z.] and all the Power will I give thee, and the Glory of them; for that is delivered unto me, and to whomfoever I will, I give it: If thou therefore wilt worship me, all fhall be thine. [L] Jefus anfwered and faid into him, [M] Get thee [L.] behind
See Dent. viii. 2, 3.
Chap. iv. 3. But if our Gospel be hid, 'tis hid to them that are loft: 4. In whom the God of this
World hath blinded the Minds of them which BELIEVE not, left the Light of the glorious Gospel of Chrift, who is the IMAGE of God, fhould shine unto them.
1 Cor. x. 13. There hath no TEMPTATION taken you, but fuch as is common to Man: but God is FAITHFUL, who will not fuffer you to be TEMPTED above that ye are ABLE; but will with the TEMPTATION alfo make a Way to escape, that ye may be able to BEAR it.
2 Cor. xi. 3. But I fear lest by any means, as the SERPENT beguiled Eve through his Subtilty, fo your Minds fhould be CORRUPTED from the Simplicity that is in Chrift. 13. For fuch are false Apostles, deceitful Workers, transforming themfelves into the Apostles of Chrift.
14. And no marvel; for SATAN himfelf is transformed into an An
gel of Light.
Chap. xii. 7. And left I should be exalted above measure through there was given to me a THORN in the Flesh, the MESSENGER of SATAN to buffet me.
the Abundance of the Revelations,
8. For this Thing I befought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
9. And he faid unto me, My GRACE is fufficient for thee: for my Strength is made perfect in
Ephef. vi. 10. Finally, my Brethren, be ftrong in the LORD, and
in the POWER of his Might.
11. Put on the whole Armour of
Gon, that ye may be able to ftand against the WILES of the DEVIL. 12. For we wrestle not against Flesh and Blood, but against PRINCIPALITIES, against PowERS, 2gainst the RULERS of the DARKNESS of this World, against sriRITUAL WICKEDNESS in high Places.
13. Wherefore take unto you the whole Armour of GoD, that ye may be able to withstand in the
behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the LORD thy God, and Him only fhalt thou ferve. And when the Devil had ended all the TEMPTATION, [M] he leaveth him; and behold, ANGELS came and miniftred unto him.
evil Day; and having done all, to stand.
16. Above all, taking the SHIELD of FAITH, wherewith ye fhall be
able to quench all the FIERY DArts of the WICKED.
I Theff. iii. 5. For this Caufe, when know your Faith, left by fome I could no longer forbear, I fent to Means the TEMPTER have TEMPT ED you, and our Labour be in vain. 2 Tim. ii. 25. In Meeknefs inftructing those that oppose themselves; if GOD peradventure will give them Repentance to the acknowledging of the Truth;
26. And that they may recover themselves out of the SNARE of the DEVIL, who are taken CAPTIVE by him at his Will.
Heb. ii. 14. Forafmuch then as the Children are Partakers of Flesh and Blood, he also himfelf likewife took part of the fame: that through Death he might destroy him that had the POWER of DEATH, that is, the DEVIL;
15. And DELIVER them, who through Fear of Death were all their Life-time fubject to Bondage.
16. For verily he took not on him the Nature of Angels; but he took on him the Seed of Abraham.
17. Wherefore in all Things it behoved him to be made like unto his Brethren; that he might be a MERCIFUL and FAITHFUL High Priest, in Things pertaining to GOD, to make Reconciliation for the SINS of the People.
18. For in that he himself hath sUFFERED being TEMPTED, he is able to succOUR them that are TEMPTED.
Chap. iv. 14 Seeing then that we have a great HIGH PRIEST, that is paffed into the Heavens, Jefus the Son of GOD, let us hold faft our Profeffion.
15. For we have not an High Priest which cannot be touched with the Feeling of our Infirmities; but was in all Points TEMPTED like as we are, yet without SIN.
16. Let us therefore come BOLDLY unto the THRONE of GRACE, that we may obtain MERCY, and find GRACE to help in Time of need. James i. 2. My Brethren, count it all Joy when ye fall into DIVERS TEMPTATIONS:
3. Knowing this, that the TRYING of your FAITH worketh PA
12. Bleffed is the Man that endureth TEMPTATION: for when he is tried, he shall receive the Crown of LIFE, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
13. Let no Man fay when he is TEMPTED, I am TEMPTED of God: for God cannot be TEMPTED with Evil, neither TEMPTETH he any Man.
14. But every Man is TEMPTED, when he is drawn away of his own Luft, and enticed.
Chap. iv. 7. Submit your felves therefore to Gon; RESIST the DEVIL, and he will flee from you.
1 Pet. v. 8. Be fober, be vigilant; because your ADVERSARY the DEVIL, as a roaring Lion, walketh about feeking whom he may devour. 9. Whom refift ftedfaft in the FAITH.
1 John ii. 14. I have written unto you, young Men, because ye are ftrong, and the Word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the WICKED ONE.
Chap. v. 18. We know that whofoever is born of GOD finneth not, but he that is begotten of GoD, keepeth himself, and that WICKED ONE toucheth him not.
Chap. iii. 8. He that committeth Sin, is of the DEVIL; for the Devil finneth from the Beginning. For this Purpose the Son of GOD was manifefted, that he might DESTROY the WORKS of the Devil. Rev. ii. 10. Be thou FAITHFUL unto Death, and I will give thee a CROWN OF LIFE.
12. And to the Angel of the Church in Pergamos, write,
13. I know thy Works, and where thou dwelleft, even where SATAN'S Seat is; and thou holdest fast my Name, and haft not denied my Faith, even in those Days wherein Antipas was my faithful Martyr, who was flain among you, where Satan dwelleth.
Chap. xii. 7. And there was War in Heaven; Michael and his Angels fought against the Dragon, and the Dragon fought and his Angels; 8. And prevailed not, neither was their Place found any more in Hea
9. And the great Dragon was caft out, that old Serpent, called the DEVIL and SATAN, which DECEIVETH the whole World: He was caft out into the Earth, and his Angels were cast out with him.
10. And I heard a loud Voice, faying in Heaven, Now is come SALVATION, and STRENGTH, and the Kingdom of our GOD, and the Power of his Chrift: for the ACCUSER of our Brethren is caft down, which ACCUSED them before our God Day and Night.
11. And they overcame him by the BLOOD of the LAMB, and by the Word of their Teftimony; and they loved not their Lives unto the Death.
12. Therefore rejoice, ye Heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Wo to the Inhabiters of the Earth, and of the Sea : for the DEVIL is come down unto you, having great Wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a fhort Time.
Matt. iv. 18.
The Calling of the Difciples.
ND Jefus walking by the Sea of Galilee, faw two Brethren, Simon, called Peter, and Andrew his Brother, cafting a Net into the Sea (for they were Fishers)
19. And he faith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you Fishers of MEN.
20. And they ftraightway left their Nets, and followed him.
21. And going on from thence, he faw other two Brethren, James the Son of Zebedee, and John his Brother, in a Ship with Zebedee their Father, mending their Nets: and he called them.
22. And they immediately left the Ship and their Father, and followed him.
Mark ii. 13. And he went forth again by the Sea-fide, and all the Multitude reforted unto him, and he taught them.
14. And as he paffed by, he faw Levi the Son of Alpheus fitting at the Receipt of Cuftom, and faid unto him, Follow me: And he arofe and followed him.
John i. 43. The Day following, Jefus would go forth into Galilee, and findeth Philip, and faith unto him, Follow me.
44. Now Philip was of Bethfaida, the City of Andrew and Peter.
45. Philip findeth Nathanael, and faith unto him, We have found him of whom Mofes in the LAW and the PROPHETS did write, Jefus of Nazareth, the Son of Jofeph.
46. And Nathanael faid unto him, Can there any good Thing come out of Nazareth? Philip faith unto him, Come and fee.
47. Jefus faw Nathanael coming to him, and faith of him, Behold an Ifraelite indeed, in whom is no Guile.
48. Nathanael faith unto him, Whence knowest thou me? Jefus anfwered and faid unto him, Before that Philip called thee, when thou waft under the Fig-Tree, I faw thee.
49. Nathanael answered and faith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of GOD, thou art the KING of Ifrael.
50. Jefus answered and faid unto him, Because I faid unto thee, I faw thee under the Fig-Tree, BELIEVEST thou? Thou fhalt fee greater Things than thefe.
51. And he faith unto him, Verily, verily I fay unto you, Hereafter you fhall fee HEAVEN opened, and the ANGELS of God afcending and defcending upon the Son
Mark iii. 13. And he goeth up into a Mountain, and calleth unto him whom he would: and they came unto him.
14. And he ordained TWELVE, that they fhould be with him, and that he might fend them forth to PREACH: 15. And to have POWER to heal SICKNESSES, and to caft out DEVILS.
16. And Simon he firnamed Peter.
17. And James the Son of Zebedee, and John the Brother of Fames, (and he firnamed them Boanerges, which is, The Sons of Thunder)
18. And Andrew, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and
Matthew, and Thomas, and James the Son of Alpheus, and Thaddeus, and Simon the Canaanite,
19. And Judas Iscariot, which also betrayed him.
CHRIST's Inftructions to his Difciples.
5. And fefus fent them forth, and commanded them, faying, Go not into the Way of the Gentiles, and into any City of the Samaritans enter ye not.
6. But go rather to the loft Sheep of the Houfe of Ifrael. 7. And as ye go, preach, faying, The KINGDOM of Heaven is at hand :
8. Heal the SICK, cleanse the LEPERS, raise the DEAD, caft out DEVILS: freely ye have received, freely give. 9. Provide neither Gold, nor Silver, nor Brafs in your Purfes :
10. Nor Scrip for your Journey, neither two Coats, neither Shoes, nor yet Staves: (for the Workman is worthy of his Meat)
II. And into whatfoever City or Town ye fhall enter, enquire who in it is worthy, and there abide till ye go
12. And when ye come into an Houfe, falute it.
13. And if the House be worthy, let your Peace come upon it but if it be not worthy, let your Peace return
14. And whofoever fhall not receive you, nor hear your WORDS: when ye depart out of that House, or City, shake off the Duft of your Feet.
15. Verily I fay unto you, It fhall be more tolerable for the Land of Sodom and Gomorrah, in the Day of Judgment, than for that City.
16. Behold (a) I fend you forth, as SHEEP in the midst of Wolves: be ye therefore wife as Serpents, and harmlefs as Doves.
17. But beware of Men,
(a) John xvi. 1. Thefe Things have I SPOKEN unto you, that ye fhould not be offended.
2. They shall put you out of the Synagogues: yea, the Time cometh, that whofoever KILLETH you will think that he doth Gon Service. 3. And these Things will they do