Page images

a boarding school,--the boys brought under the care of principal and teachers, not scattered through the town as before. The School prospered and Dr. Beardsley was able to perform the duties of both positions.

He now proposed to give his services to the parish if by a certain time a new church might be built, and with this encouragement the work was accomplished. In his address to the Convention, in June 1841, Bishop Brownell reported that "the comparatively ancient church edifice in Cheshire had been taken down and replaced by a neat and spacious building of brick, in the Gothic style of architecture," and consecrated on August 1st of the preceding year. Dr. Beardsley then resigned the parish, that he might give his whole time to the School. But, in 1844, the parish needed him again. The cares and responsibilities of the School proved not to his taste and, relinquishing the School, he resumed the charge of the parish.

There can be no question that Dr. Beardsley rendered the Diocesan School great service during the years in Cheshire, from 1835 to 1848, especially in taking up the work at Mr. Morgan's death,—and thereafter to the end of his life. Cheshire, his first parish, and the old School had a large place in the affection of Dr. Beardsley all his life long. While in Cheshire, Dr. Beardsley married Miss Jane M. Matthews, daughter of Rev. Edmund Matthews of St. Simon's Island, Georgia, who, with her mother, a native of Cheshire, had returned to the North and had been living among friends in the village.

Dr. Beardsley came to New Haven in 1848, but I cannot do better than use his own words in giving the reasons for the change, and the way in which the new work came to him: "His devotion to the work of the ministry led him to think of trying another field if offered to him, where he might find a fresh stimulus to his mind and new opportunities for study. A third parish was formed in the compact limits of New Haven, February 1848, by the name of St. Thomas's Church and he was invited to become its rector, an invitation which was accepted after mature consideration. The enterprise was the conception of men in moderate circumstances, and a chapel belonging to

[ocr errors]

the First Ecclesiastical Society located in the lower part of Orange Street was hired, and the opening services of the parish, which he conducted, were held Easter Sunday, April 20, 1848.”

I will anticipate the story which I am telling, that I may use the closing sentences which Dr. Beardsley wrote in 1890 on his eighty-second birthday. “The increase of the congregation was more solid than had been anticipated and soon turned the attention of the Vestry to the purchase of a lot on Elm Street, and the erection of a brick chapel which would seat 300 or more people. It was completed and occupied in July 1849. A lustrum had not passed away before it was deemed expedient to remove it and erect on the site a handsome church. This cost the worshippers and the Rector much anxiety and self-denial, but all obstacles and hindrances were finally overcome, and step by step improvements have been made as the parish increased in members and strength, till now (1890) it is unsurpassed in richness, convenience and architectural beauty by any Episcopal church in the city.”

We have come now to the opening of Dr. Beardsley's long rectorship in New Haven, beginning on Easter-Day 1848 and ending with his death in December, 1891. Trinity Church, the mother parish among the Episcopal churches of New Haven, had stood alone until 1830, when St. Paul's was built as a Chapel-of-Ease. Before Dr. Beardsley came to New Haven, St. Luke's Church for colored people and the churches in Westville and Fair Haven had been established. St. Paul's, an independent parish from 1845, was very prosperous under Rev. Dr. Cooke. But there was clearly room for a third parish. A company of plain people gathered about Dr. Beardsley in the Chapel in Little Orange Street. From the beginning of his ministry, in New Haven, he kept a journal,—Notes of Days, as he called it. The record has to do almost exclusively with Church services and Sundays. It is the story of the Rector and his Parish, particularly with notes upon some special events, with some letters preserved to which reference might be desirable. One may trace in these “Notes of Days” the

progress of the work of building up the new parish in New Haven, the ever-increasing influence and place of the Rector in the Diocese, the coming of new interests into his life. It is the record of work rather than of personal experience or of observation of the times. More is to be taken from the journals for those interested in the history of the Episcopal Church in New Haven and Connecticut than for the larger public.

A few months only had passed when the attendance of worshippers showed the necessity of a larger chapel. A lot was purchased on Elm Street and plans for a brick chapel, seating four hundred persons, were made. The chapel was occupied August 12, 1849, and the people were interested and delighted in worshipping in their own church building, under their own roof. The work accomplished showed much courage, self-denial, and wise leadership. For about five years, the congregation worshipped in this chapel, until it was taken down to give place to the beautiful church which was consecrated April 19, 1855, Bishop Brownell and Bishop Williams being present and about forty of the clergy. It was a notable day in the history of the parish and of the Church in New Haven. On the following Sunday, Dr. Beardsley preached from the text, which was thereafter inscribed on the pulpit, “Woe is unto me, if I preach not the Gospel.”

In writing to Bishop Williams of the approaching service of consecration, Dr. Beardsley said: "Our edifice is built in the neighborhood of the princely residences of Eaton and Davenport, the first settlers of this Colony, within a stone's throw of the cellar where the regicides were concealed when their royal pursuers were passing by. It occupies the very ground whence at a later day rose a dwelling to shelter the pastor of a Congre gational or Separate Society. That Society after a chequered history of light and shade finally disbanded and disposed of their property. The bell which rung them together at the hour of prayer hangs in the tower of the Episcopal Church at Cheshire and St. Thomas's covers the site of the old Parsonage."

One is reminded, in reading the journal, of the changes which have come in the churches. People went to hear sermons in those days and the second service on the Lord's Day was often the best attended. The ministers exchanged frequently, and the people had an interest in other rectors and other parishes than their own.

The annual exchange with Dr. Hallam of New London was looked forward to with interest. People did not look in the Saturday newspaper to see who was to officiate before deciding where they would worship on Sunday. The churches went on quietly and steadily, with their people living in their own homes year after year, and attached strongly to their own parishes.

Dr. Beardsley was early identified with the larger interests of the Diocese. His term of service as a trustee of Trinity College, beginning in 1851, ended only with his death, forty years later. He was a wise and deeply interested trustee, and I have the thought that there were several times when the following of his judgment had meant good for the college, for which he had the affection of a devoted son. He welcomed the election of President Goodwin in 1853 and he was anxious as to the result of the election of President Eliot in 1860. At a much later time he opposed the removal of the college from its fine site in the center of Hartford. He was able to serve the college well when the conflicting interests of New Haven and Hartford seemed likely to work harm to the college.

He did not approve of the building up of the Berkeley Divinity School about the person of Bishop Williams at Middletown, preferring that it should remain associated with the college in Hartford. I have heard him say that greater interest on the part of Rev. Dr. Croswell would very likely have brought the school to New Haven originally. The older laymen and clergy of the Diocese did not think that so much of Bishop Williams' time and interest should be diverted from the Diocese to the Divinity School. I have the feeling that in the questions raised concerning these institutions Dr. Beardsley was a wise and far-seeing counselor, not opinionated, not an obstructionist, accepting decisions against himself graciously and not allowing defeat to destroy his interest in an undertaking.

It need hardly be said that Dr. Beardsley as a trustee of the Diocesan School at Cheshire, his old school, was most interested, ever alive to its well-being, making friends for it wherever he could, the closest adviser of its principals. He was never absent from its anniversaries and probably had the largest sense of responsibility of any one of the trustees.

The degree of Doctor of Divinity was given him by his own college in 1854, as a well-earned reward of service and with just appreciation of his work. He makes very simple note of it in his journal and valued it especially because it came unsought and unexpected. It was not a case in which requests and petitions come up, with suspicious uniformity, from many sides to the trustees of the college that the degree might be given. The college looked to him early as one of her most trusted sons, and he had been, in July 1851, the chosen orator at the observance of the twenty-fifth anniversary of the founding of the college.

A great sorrow darkened the life of Dr. Beardsley just as his larger work was opening in New Haven, in the death of his wife, August 30, 1851. It seemed a crushing blow to him but he bore his affliction quietly, patiently, and took up his work bravely and made the memory of his dead an inspiration in his life.

In these years Dr. Beardsley saw other parishes growing up about him; St. John's opened in State Street, as a mission from St. Paul's October 1, 1852, and Christ Church January 6, 1854, built by three good women of Trinity Church. Later, December 9, 1857 the enlarged church of St. John's was consecrated, and on the following day, the Church of the Ascension. The people of St. Thomas's had a large burden to carry, in building so soon after organization, not only their temporary chapel, but their permanent church. It was many years before all the financial burden was removed, and we must think of Dr. Beardsley as in all these years carefully directing the affairs of his parish so as to make an end of debt. I have heard Dr. Beardsley say that his own wish was that St. Thomas's Church should stand further from the center of the city, as far out as Wall Street or Trumbull Street on Orange Street, but many of

« PreviousContinue »