« PreviousContinue »
10. By whom may we draw nigh to God?
We have access by one Spirit unto the Father. (2 Eph. 18.)
11. Does the Holy Spirit assist in prayer?
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities, for we know not what we should pray for as we ought; but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us, with groanings which cannot be uttered. (8 Ro. 26.)
Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit. (6 Eph. 18.)
12. Does the Holy Spirit sanctify the mind?
* God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation, through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth, whereunto he called you, by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. (II. Thes. 2. 13, 14.)
13. Who are the sons of God?
As many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God, for ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear, but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry Abba, Father. The Spirit itself also beareth witness with our Spirit, that we are the children of God. (8R0,14to16.)
14. Does the Spirit operate on the heart?
* Hope maketh not ashamed, because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost, which is given unto us; for when we were yet without strength, in due time, Christ died for the ungodly. (5 Ro. 5, 6.)
15. Does the Spirit of God dwell in his people?
What! Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God. (I. Cor. 6. 19.)
Hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us. (I. Jn. 3. 24.)
16. What is the curse of the carnal, and the blessing of the spiritual?
He that soweth to his flesh, shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit, shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. (6 Gal. 8.)
17. What is the fruit of the Spirit?
The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. (5 Gal. 22, 23, 25.) The fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, and righteousness, and truth. (5 Eph. 9.)
18. What was the apostle's prayer for the Ephesian Christians?
*That He would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith. (3 Eph. 16, 17.)
19. What did Christ say of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit?
All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men; but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. (12 Mt. 31.)
20. What was Christ's commission to his disciples?
* Go ye, therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. (28 Mt. 19.)
21. What is the apostolical benediction?
* The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost be with you all. Amen. (II. Cor. 13. 14.)
"The Father of our Lord Jesus Christ." (See verse 14.)
22. How did St. Peter reprove Ananias for his awful sin?
Why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost. -Thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God. (5 Ac. 3, 4.)
23. How is the Holy Spirit mentioned by the apostle in connexion with the sacrifice of Christ?
* How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit, offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works, to serve the living God. (9 Heb. 14.)
24. How did the Israelites of old act towards God's Holy Spirit?
They rebelled and vexed his Holy Spirit. (63 Is. 10.)
25. What did Stephen say of their continuing this sin; and how was he supported?
* Ye do always resist the Holy Ghost; as your fathers did, so do ye.-He, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God. (7 Ac. 51, 55.)
26. What cautions are given to guard against offending the Holy Spirit ?
Grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. (4 Eph. 30.)
Quench not the Spirit. (I. Thes. 5, 19.)
27. How does the wilful sinner dare to act towards the Holy Spirit?
And hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace. (10Heb.29.)
28. Did the Holy Spirit speak by the ancient prophets?
Well spake the Holy Ghost, by Esaias the prophet, unto our fathers. (28 Ac. 25.) ·
29. What did the Holy Spirit reveal unto Simeon? It was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord's Christ. (2Lk.26.)
30. Did Christ promise his disciples the aids of the Holy Spirit to assist their memories?
* The Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father, will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance whatsoever I have said unto you. (14 Jn. 26.)
31. What weapon is employed by the Holy Spirit ? The sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. (6Eph.17) 32. Does the Holy Spirit invite us to receive salvation?
And the Spirit and the Bride say, Come. And let him that heareth, say, Come. And let him that is athirst, come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely. (22 Rev. 17.)
VI. OF SIN.
Entrance of sin-Universality of Power over the heart and mind-Aggravations and effects of God observes sin-His holy law-Confessions of sin.
1. How did God create man?
God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions. (7 Ec. 29.)
2. How did sin enter into the world?
By one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned. (5 Ro. 12.)
3. How did the Psalmist acknowledge his original depravity?
Behold I was shapen in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me. (51 P. 5.)
4. Is this depravity soon manifested by sinners?
They go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies. (58 P. 3.)
5. Is there any one that sinneth not?
There is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good and sinneth not. (7 Ec. 20.)
There is none righteous, no not one. (3 Ro. 10.)
6. Is every individual in all the world guilty before God?
The Lord looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand and seek God. They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy, there is none that doeth good, no not one. (14 P. 2, 3.)