« PreviousContinue »
KOPH. 145. I cried with my whole heart; hear me, O Lord : I will keep thy statutes.
146. I cried unto thee; save me, and I shall keep thy testimonies.
147. I prevented the dawning of the morning, and cried : I hoped in thy word.
148. Mine eyes prevented the night watches, that I might meditate in thy word.
149. Hear my voice according unto thy lovingkindness: O Lord, quicken me according to thy judgment.
150. They draw nigh that follow after mischief: they are far from thy law.
151. Thou art near, O Lord; and all thy commandments are truth.
152. Concerning thy testimonies, I have known of old that thou hast founded them for
RESH. 153. Consider mine affliction, and deliver me: for I do not forget thy law.
154. Plead my cause, and deliver me: quicken me according to thy word.
155. Salvation is far from the wicked : for they seek not thy statutes.
156. Great are thy tender mercies, O Lord : quicken me according to thy judgments.
157. Many are my persecutors and mine enemies; yet do I not decline from thy testimonies.
158. I beheld the transgressors, and was grieved ; because they kept not thy word.
159. Consider how I love thy precepts: quicken me, O Lord, according to thy lovingkindness,
160. Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.
161. Princes have persecuted me without a cause : but my heart standeth in awe of thy word.
162. I rejoice at thy word, as one that findeth great spoil.
163. I hate and abhor lying: but thy law do I love,
164. Seven times a day do I praise thee because of thy righteous judgments.
165. Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.
166. Lord, I have hoped for thy salvation, and done thy commandments.
167. My sonl hath kept thy testimonies; and I love them exceedingly.
168. I have kept thy precepts and thy testimonies: for all my ways are before thee.
TAU. 169. Let my cry come near before thee, O Lord: give me understanding according to thy word.
170. Let my supplication come before thee: deliver me according to thy word.
171. My lips shall utter praise, when thou hast taugbt me thy statutes.
172. My tongue shall speak of thy word : for all thy commandments are righteousness.
173. Let thine hand help me; for I have chosen thy precepts.
174. I have longed for thy salvation, O Lord; and thy law is my delight.
175. Let my soul live, and it shall praise thee; and let thy judgments help me.
176. I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments.
PSALM CXX. 34.
Prayer and complaint of David, on the calumnies industriously
spread against him; on the length of his exile, and the unjust persecution which had now pursued him for four years ; and which was at this juncture unspeakably aggravated by the death of the aged prophet Samuel, who was interred at his own house in Ramalı, in the presence of all Israel; and whose loss deprived David of his only powerful support. In consequence of which he was obliged to quit the land of people went out to combat against Absalom, and all the hosts of Israel, in the wood of Ephraim. 2 Sam. xviii. 1-6.
Israel, and seek an asylum in the barren desert of Paran, situate in Arabia, amongst the predatory hordes of Keda. renes and other plundering Arabs, from whom he was subject to perpetual molestation. Sam. xxv. ).
A Song of degrees.
A Song of goings up, or of ascension.
1. In my distress I cried unto the Lord, and he heard me.
2. Deliver my soul, O Lord, from lying lips, and from a deceitful tongue.
8. What shall be given unto thee? or what shall be done unto thee, thou false tongue ?
4. Sharp arrows of the mighty, with coals of juniper.
5. Woe is me, that I sojourn in Mesech, that I dwell in the tents of Kedar!
6. My soul bath long dwelt with him that hateth peace.
7. I am for peace: but when I speak, they are for war.
PSALM CXXI. 119.
Vow and prayer of David, for himself and his little army, when his 1, 2 King of Israel. 3 Chorus of priests. 4 King of Israel. 59
A Song of degrees.
Chorus of priests. 8 Chorus of priest and people.
1. I WILL lift up mine eyes onto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
2. My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.
3. He will not suffer thy foot to be moved : he that keepeth thee will not slumber.
4. Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.
5. The Lord is thy keeper: the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand.
6. The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.
7. The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.
8. The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.
PSALM CXXII. 66.
Anthem of thanksgiving composed by David for the use of the
Israelites who went up to Jerusalem, to witness the cere