« PreviousContinue »
Hymn 63. L. M.
It is finished, John xxix. 30.
'Tis finish'd-yes, the race is run, The battle fought, the victory won. 2. 'Tis finish'd all that heav'n decreed, And all the ancient prophets said, Is now fulfil'd, as was design'd, In thee, the Saviour of mankind. 3. 'Tis finish'd-Aaron now no more Must stain his robes with purple gore: The sacred veil is rent in twain, And Jewish rites no more remain. 4.'Tis finish'd-this thy dying groan, Shall sins of every kind atone: Millions shall be redeem'd from death, By this thy last expiring breath. 5. 'Tis finish'd-heav'n is reconcil'd, And all the powers of darkness spoil'd: Peace, love, and happiness again Return and dwell with sinful men.
his head died:
6. 'Tis finish'd let the joyful sound
Thro' heaven and hell, thro' earth and sky.
Hymn 64. L. M.
Redemption by Christ alone. 1. Peter 1, 18. 19.
2. Nor gold nor gems could buy our peace; Nor the whole world's collected store
Suffice to purchase our release ; A thousand worlds were all to poor. 3. Jesus the Lord, the mighty God,! An all-sufficient ransom paid: Invalu'd price! his precious blood For vile rebellious traitors shed. 4. Jesus the sacrifice became,
To rescue guilty souls from hell; The spotless, bleeding, dying Lamb, Beneath avenging justice fell.
5. Amazing goodness! love divine!
Hymn 65. c. M.
Would sound aloud thy saving love,
2. Bless'd be the Lamb, my dearest Lord, Who bought me with his blood,
And quench'd his Father's flaming Sword In his own vital flood.
3. The Lamb that freed my captive soul
4. All glory to the dying Lamb,
Bloody sweat, cross, death and tomb, Be my daily meditation
Here, as long I live from home : When thou seest a sinful, thought Rise within, to make me nought;
Shew me that my own pollution
2. Should my nature's inclination
3. Will the world with her temptation
Not produce a deep compassion
Let thy wounds be my relief, When I seek thine intercession,
Add new strength to my belief.
This imprinted demonstration
5. All my hope and consolation Christ is in thy bitter death.
In the hour of expiration,
Lord, receive my dying breath.
By thy glorious resurrection,
6. Christ, thy holy wounds and passion, Bloody sweat, cross, death, and tomb, Be my daily meditation,
Whilst I'm living from my 'Specially when I go hence, Let this be my confidence, That thy deep humiliation Was to purchase my salvation.
Lamb of God, our Saviour!
Paid what thou didst not borrow.
2. O Lamb of God, our Saviour, &c. Have mercy upon us, &c.
3. O Lamb of God, our Saviour, &c. O Grant us thy peace, O Jesu ! O Jesu !
Where are my passions hurried?
2. O greatest dread!
O See where he expired,
3. O make a pause,
4. The Lamb of God
5. O glorious Head;
6. O lovely face!
Thou source of grace, And author of all beauty!
Who can see thee, and not melt Into tears of duty?
7. How blest he is,
That the Lord of life and light
8. O Jesu! blest
My hope and rest,
Grant me this heavenly favour,
That thy blood, cross, death and tomb Prove my diyng savour,