« PreviousContinue »
1. Since our Country, our God-Oh, my Sire! Demand that thy Daughter expire; Since thy triumph was bought by thy vowStrike the bosom that's bared for thee now!
3. And of this, oh, my Father! be sureThat the blood of thy child is as pure As the blessing I beg ere it flow, And the last thought that soothes me below.
my Father and Country are free!
5. When this blood of thy giving hath gushid, When the voice that thou lovest is hushid, Let my memory still be thy pride, And forget not I smiled as I died !
OH! SNATCH'D AWAY IN BEAUTY S
1. Oh! snatch'd away in beauty's bloom, On thee shall press no ponderous tomb;
But on thy turf shall roses rear
Their leaves, the earliest of the year ;
2. And oft by yon blue gushing stream
Shall Sorrow lean her drooping head,
And lingering pause and lightly tread;
3. Away; we know that tears are vain,
That death nor heeds nor hears distress : Will this unteach us to complain?
Or make one mourner weep the less ? And thou—who tell'st me to forget, Thy looks are wan, thine eyes are wet.
MY SOUL IS DARK.
1. My soul is dark-Oh! quickly string
The harp I yet can brook to hear; And let thy gentle fingers fling
sts melting murmurs o'er mine ear. If in this heart a hope be dear,
That sound shall charm it forth again; If in these eyes there lurk a tear, 'Twill flow, and cease to burn my
2. But bid the strain be wild and deep,
Nor let thy notes of joy be first: I tell thee, minstrel, I must weep,
Or else this heavy heart will burst; For it hath been by sorrow nurst,
And ached in sleepless silence long; And now 'tis doom'd to know the worst,
And break at once-or yield to song.
I SAW THEE WEEP.
1. I saw thee weep—the big bright tear
Came o'er that eye of blue;
A violet dropping dew:
Beside thee ceased to shine;
That fill'd that glance of thine.
2. As clouds from yonder sun receive
A deep and mellow die, Which scarce the shade of coming eve
Can banish from the sky, Those smiles unto the moodiest mind
Their own pure joy impart; Their sunshine leaves a glow behind
That lightens o'er the heart.