« PreviousContinue »
the People : 14. Peter and John come to confirm, and enlarge the Church : where by Prayer and Imposition of Haids, giving the Holy Ghost: 18. when Simon wou!ld have borgbt the like Power of them, 20. Peter foarpiz refroving his Hypocrisy and Covetoujizess, and exhorting him to Repentance; together with John preaching the lord of the Lord, return to Jerusalem. 26. K?t the fingel senderh Philip to teach, and battize tie Ethiopian Elni!ch.
ND Saul was consenting unto his Death. And
at that Time there was a great Persecution against the Church which was at Ferufalem ; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the Regions of Judea, and Samaria, except the Apothes.
2. And devout Men carried Stejben to his Burial, and made great Lamentation over him.
3. As for Saul, he made Havock of the Church, entring into every House, and haling Men and Women, committed thein to Prison.
4. Therefore they that were scattered abroad, went every where preaching the Word.
5. Then Philip went down to the City of Samaria, and preached Chrift unto them.
6. And the People with one accord gave Heed unto those Things which Pbilip spake, hearing, and seeing the Miracles which he did.
7. For UNCLEAN SPIRITS, crying with loud Voice, came out of many that were poffeffed with them: and many taken with Pallies, and that were lame, were healed.
8. And there was great Joy in that City.
9. But there was a certain Man called Simon, which before Time in the fame Ciiy used Sorcery, and bewitched the People of Samaria, giving out that himself was some
10. To whom they all gave hced from the least to the greatet?, saying, This Man is the great Power of God.
II. And to him they had regard, because that of long time he had bewitched then with Sorceries.
12. But when they believed Philip, preaching the Things concerning the Kingdom of God, and the same of Feis Christ, they were baptized both Men and Women.
13. Then Simon himself believed alfo : and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondred,
beholding the MIRACLES and Signs which were done.
14. Now when the Apostles which were at Jerusalem, heard that Samaria had received the WORD of God, they fent unto them Peter and foon.
15. Who when they were come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Ghost.
16. (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them : only they were baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus.)
17. Then laid they their Hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
18. And when Simon saw that through laying on of the Apostles Hands, the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them Money,
19. Saying, Give me also this Power, that on whomsoever I lay Hands he may receive the Holy Ghoft.
20. But Peter said unto him, Thy Money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the Gift of God may be purchased with Money.
21. Thou haft neither Part nor Lot in this Matter : for thy Heart is not right in the Sight of God.
22. Repent therefore of this thy Wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the Thought of thine Heart may be forgiven thee.
23. For I perceive that thou art in the Gall of Bitterness, and in the Bond of Iniquity.
24. Then antwored Sim20:1, and" said, Pray ye to the Lord for me, that none of these Things which ye have spoken come upon me.
25. And they, when they had testified and preached the Word of the Lord, returned to Jerusalem, and preached the Gospel in many Villages of the Samaritans.
26. And the Angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, faying, Arife, and go towards the South, unto the way that goeth down from Jerufalein unto Gaza, which is desert.
27. And he arofe and went : And behold, a Man of Ethiopia, an Eunuch of great Authority under Candace Queen of the Ethiopians, who had the Charge of all her Treasure, and had come to Jerufalem for to worship,
28. Was returning, and fitting in his Chariot, read Ejaias the Prophet.
29. Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thy self to this Chariot. 20. And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him Eee 2
read the Prophet Esaias, and said, Understandeft thou what thou readest ?
31. And he said, How can I, except fome Man Should guide me? And he defired Philip that he would come up, and fit with him.
32. The Place of the Scripture which he read, was this, He was lead as a Sheep to the Slaughter, and like a Lamb dumb before his Shearer, fo opened he not his Mouth.
33. In his HUMILIATION his JUDGMENT was taken away: and who shall declare his Generation ? for his Life is taken from the Earth.
34. And the Eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the Prophet this? of himTelf, or of some other Man?
35. Then Philip opened his Mouth, and began at the same Scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
36. And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain Water : And the Eunuch faid, See, here is Water ; what doth hinder me to be baptized ?
37. And Philip said, If thou BELIEVEST with all thine Heart, thou mayeft. And he answered, and said, I Believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
38. And he commanded the Chariot to stand till: and they went down both into the Water, both Philip and the Eunuch; and he baptized hiin.
39. And when they were come up out of the Water, the Spirit of the LORD caught away Philip, that the Eunuch saw him no more : And he went on his Way res joicing,
40. Bat Philip was found at Azotus : and pafling through, he preached in all the Cities, till he came to CeSarea.
CH A P. IX.
1. Saul going totards Damafcus, is ftricken down 10
the Earth : 10. Is called to the Apostlefoip ; and is baptized by Ananias : 20. He preacheib CHRIST boldly: 23. T'he Jews lay wait to kill him; 29. so do the Grecians : but be cfcapeth both. Peter healerh Eneas of the Paljy; 36.01.: restoreth Tabitha to Life.
Ver.1. AND Saul yet breathing out Threatnings and
Slaughter against the Disciples of the Lord, went unto the High Priest,
2. And desired of him Letters to Damascus to the Synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were Men or Women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem.
3. And as he journied, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there ShINED round about him a Light from HEAVEN.
4. And he fell to the Earth, and heard a Voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why PERSECUTEST thou ME?
5. And he said, who art thou, Lord ? And the Lord faid, I am Jesus whom thou perfecutest : It is hard for thee to kick against the Pricks.
6. And he trembling and astonished, said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do ? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the City, and it shall be told thee what
, thou must do.
7. And the Men which journied with him, stood fpeechJess, HEARING a Voice, but seeing no Man.
8. And Saul arose from the Earth ; and when his Eyes were opened, he faw no Man : But they led him by the Hand, and brought him into Damascus.
9. And he was three Days without Sight, and neither did eat, nor drink.
10. And there was a certain Disciple at Damascus, named Ananias, and to him said the Lord in a Vision, Ananias. And he said, Behold, I am here, Lord,
11. And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the Street, which is called Straight, and inquire in the House of Judas for one called Saul of Tarsus: for behold, he prayeth,
12. And hath feen in a Vifion a Man named Ananias, coming in, and putting his Hand on him, that he might receive his Sight.
13. Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this Man, how much Evil he hath done to thy Saints at Jerusalem :
14. And here he hath Authority from the Chief Priests to bind all that call on thy Name.
15. But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way : for he is ą CHOSEN Vessel unto me, to BEAR my Name before
the PER for
the Gentiles, and Kings, and the CHILDREN of Israel. 16. For I will shew him how great Things he must sub
my NAME's fake. 17. And Ananias went his way, and entred into the House; and putting his Hands on him, faid, Brother Saul, the Lord (even Jesus that appeared unto thee in the Way as thou camelt) hath sent me, that thou mightelt RECEIVE thy Sight, and be filled with the Holy GHOST.
18. And immediately there fell from his Eyes as it had been Scales; and he received Sight forthwith, and arose, and was BAPTIZED.
19. And when be had received Meat, he was strengthned. Then was Saul certain Days with the Disciples which were at Damascus.
20. And straightway he PREACHED Christ in the Synagogues, that he is the Son of God.
21. But all that heard him were amazed, and said, Is not this he that destroyed them which called on this Name in Jerusalem, and came hither for that Intent, that he might bring them bound unto the Chief Priests ?
22. But Saul increased the more in Strength, and conFOUNDED the fews which dwelt at Damascus, PROVING that this is very Christ.
23. And after that many Days were fulfilled, the Jews took Counsel to kill him :
24. But their laying await was known of Sail: and they watched the Gates Day and Night to kill him.
25. Then the Disciples took him by Night, and let him down by the Wall in a Baiker.
26. And when Saul was come to Jerusalem, he assaved to join himself to the Difciples : But they were all afraid of him, and believed not that he was a Disciple.
27. But Barnabas took him, and brought him to the Apostles, and declared unto them how he had seen the Lord in the Way, and that he had spoken to him, and how he had preached boldly at Damascus, in the Name of Jesus.
28. And he was with them coming in, and going out at Jerusalem.
29. And he fpake boldly in the Name of the Lord JeSus, and disputed against the Grecians : but they went about to flay him.