« PreviousContinue »
41. Others faid, This is the CHRIST. But fome faid, Shall CHRIST come out of Galilee?
42. Hath not the Scripture faid, That CHRIST Cometh of the Seed of David, and out of the Town of Bethlehem, where David was?
43. So there was a Divifion among the People because of him.
44. And fome of them would have taken him; but no Man laid Hands on him.
45. Then came the Officers to the Chief Priests and Pharifees; and they faid unto them, Why have ye not brought him?
46. The Officers anfwered, Never Man SPAKE like this MAN.
47. Then anfwered them the Pharifees, Are ye alfo deceived?
48. Have any of the RULERS or of the PHARISEES believed on him?
49. But this People who knoweth not the Law, are curfed. 50. Nicodemus faith unto them, (he that came to Jefus by Night, being one of them)
51. Doth our Law JUDGE any Man before it HEAR him, and know what he doth ?
52. They anfwered and faid unto him, Art thou also of Galilee? Search and look: for out of Galilee arifeth no Prophet.
53. And every Man went unto his own House.
CHRIST in the Temple teaches the People. The Scribes and Pharifees bring a Woman taken in Adultery, with defign to enfnare him. Being convinced of their own Wickedness by what was faid unto them, they go out of the Temple. CHRIST declares himself to be the Light of the World, and that he was fent by God the Father, and his Unity with him; upon which many of the Jews believe on him. The Jews ask him whether he was greater than their Father Abraham, upon which he declares his eternal Existence.
John LESUS went unto the Mount of Olives: viii. I. 2. And early in the Morning he came again
into the Temple, and all the People came unto him; and he fat down and taught them.
3. And the Scribes and Pharifees brought unto him a Woman taken in Adultery; and when they had fet her in the mids,
4. They fay unto him, Mafter, this Woman was taken in Adultery, in the very Act.
5. Now Mofes in the Law commanded us, that fuch fhould be ftoned: but what sayft thou?
6. This they faid, tempting him, that they might have to accufe him. But Jefus ftooped down, and with his Finger wrote on the Ground, as though he heard them not.
7. So when they had continued afking him, he lift up himself, and faid unto them, He that is without SIN among you, let him firft caft a Stone at her.
8. And again he stooped down, and wrote on the Ground. 9. And they which heard it, being convicted by their own Confcience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldeft, even unto the laft: and Fefus was left alone, and the Woman ftanding in the midft.
10. When Jefus had lift up himfelf, and faw none but the Woman, he faid unto her, Woman, where are those thine Accufers? Hath no Man condemned thee?
11. She faid, No Man, Lord. And Jefus faid unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: Go, and fin no more.
12. Then fpake Jefus again unto them, faying, I am the Light of the World: he that followeth me, fhall not walk in Darknefs, but fhall have the Light of Life.
13. The Pharifees therefore faid unto him, Thou beareft record of thy felf; thy Record is not true.
14. Jefus anfwered and faid unto them, Though I bear record of my felf, yet my Record is true: for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but ye cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go.
15. Ye judge after the Flefh, I judge no Man.
16. And yet if I judge, my Judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the FATHER that fent me.
17. It is alfo written in your Law, that the Testimony of two Men is true.
18. I am one that bear witnefs of my felf, and the FA THER that fent me, beareth witness of me.
19. Then faid they unto him, Where is thy Father? Fefus anfwered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye fhould have known my Father alfo.
of his being the Light of the World, &c. 201
20. Thefe Words fpake Jefus in the Treafury, as he taught in the Temple: and no Man laid Hands on him, for his Hour was not yet come.
21. Then faid Jefus again unto them, I go my way, and ye fhall feek me, and fhall DIE in your SINS: whither I go, ye cannot come.
22. Then faid the Jews, Will he kill himself? because he faith, Whither I go, ye cannot come.
23. And he faid unto them, Ye are from beneath, I am from above: ye are of this World, I am not of this World.
24. I faid therefore unto you, that ye fhall DIE in your SINS: for if ye BELIEVE not that I am he, ye fhall die in your Sins.
25. Then faid they unto him, Who art thou? And Fefus faith unto them, Even the fame that I said unto you from the Beginning.
26. I have many Things to fay, and to judge of you: but he that fent me, is true; and I fpeak to the World thofe Things which I have heard of him.
27. They understood not that he fpake to them of the Father.
28. Then faid Jefus unto them, When ye have lift up the Son of Man, then fhall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of my felf; but as my Father hath taught me, I fpeak thefe Things.
29. And he that fent me, is with me: the Father hath not left me alone: for I do always thofe Things that please him.
30. As he fpake thefe Words, many BELIEVED on him. 31. Then faid Jefus to thofe Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my Word, then are ye my Difciples indeed,
32. And ye fhall know the Truth, and the Truth shall make you free.
33. They answered him, We be Abraham's Seed, and were never in Bondage to any Man: How fayft thou, Ye fhall be made free?
34. (4) Fefus answered them, Verily, verily I fay unto you, whofcever committeth Sin, is the Servant of Sin.
35. And the Servant abideth not in the Houfe for ever,
ever, but the Son abideth MORTIFY the Deeds of the BODY, ye fhall LIVE.
15. For ye have not received the Spirit of BONDAGE again to fear; ADOPTION, whereby we cry, Abba, but ye have received the Spirit of
36. (b) If the Son therefore fhall make you FREE, fhall be FREE INDEED. ye 37. I know that ye are Abraham's Seed; but ye feek to kill me, becaufe my Word hath no Place in you.
38. I fpeak that which I have feen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have feen with your Father.
39. They anfwered and faid unto him, Abraham is our Father. Jefus faith unto them, If ye were Abraham's Children, ye would do the Works of Abraham.
40. But now ye feek to kill me, a Man that hath told you the Truth, which I have heard of God: This did not Abraham.
41. Ye do the Deeds of your Father. Then faid they to him, We be not born of Fornication ; we have one Father, even GOD.
42. Fefus faid unto them, If GOD were your Father, ye would love me, for I proceeded forth, and came from GOD; neither came I of my felf, but he fent me.
43. Why do ye not underftand my Speech? even becaufe ye cannot hear my Word.
44. (c) Ye are of your Father the DEVIL, and the LUSTS Of your Father will ye do: He was a Murderer from the Beginning, and abode
20. For the Creature was made but by reafon of him who hath fubject to VANITY, not willingly, fubjected the fame in Hope:
21. Because the Creature itself al
fo fhall be delivered from the BON
DAGE of CORRUPTION, into the glorious LIBERTY of the Children of GOD.
22. For we know that the whole Creation GROANETH, and travaileth in Pain together until now:
23. And not only they, but our felves alfo, which have the Firitfruits of the Spirit, even we our felves GROAN within our felves, WAITING for the ADOPTION, to wit, the REDEMPTION of our Body.
1 John v. 18. We know that
whofoever is born of GOD finneth not; but he that is begotten of God, keepeth himself, and that WICKED ONE toucheth him not.
(b) Rom. viii. 2. For the LAW of the SPIRIT of LIFE in Chrift Jefus, hath made me free from the Law of SIN and DEATH.
3. For what the LAW could not do, in that it was weak through the Flefh, God fending his own SON in the LIKENESS of finful Flesh,
and for Sin condemned Sin in the Fleth:
4. That the RIGHTEOUSNESS of
the LAW might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the FLESH, bat after the SPIRIT.
Gal. v. 1. Stand faft therefore in
the Liberty wherewith Chrift hath made us free, and be not intangled again with the YOKE of BONDAGE.
Ephef. iv. 8. Wherefore he faith, When he afcended up on high he led CAPTIVITY CAPTIVE, and gave GIFTS unto Men.
(c) 1 John iii. 8. He that committeth SIN, is of the Devil; for the Devil finneth from the Beginning. For this Purpofe the Son of God was manifefted, that he might DF
bode not in the Truth, because there is no Truth in him. When he fpeaketh a Lye, he fpeaketh of his own: for he is a Lyar, and the Father of it.
of his being the Light of the World,&c. 203
STROY the WORKS of the Devil. doth not commit SIN; for his Seed 9. Whofoever is BORN of GOD, remaineth in him and he cannot Sin, because he is born of God.
10. In this the Children of GoD are manifeft, and the Children of the Devil: Whofoever doth not
Righteoufnefs, is not of God, neither he that loveth not his Brother.
45. And becaufe I tell you the Truth, ye believe me
46. Which of you convinceth me of SIN? And if I
fay the TRUTH, why do ye
11. For this is the Meffage that ye heard from the Beginning, that we should LOVE one another.
12. Not as Cain, who was of that WICKED ONE, and flew his Bro
not BELIEVE me?
47. He that is of God, heareth GOD'S WORDS: ye therefore hear them not, becaufe ye are not of God.
48. Then anfwered the Jews, and 'faid unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and haft a Devil?
49. Jefus anfwered, I have not a Devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do difhonour me.
50. And I feek not mine own GLORY: There is one that SEEKETH and JUDGETH.
51. Verily, verily I fay unto you, If a Man KEEP my Saying, he shall never fee DEATH.
52. Then faid the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou haft a Devil. Abraham is dead, and the Prophets; and thou fayst, If a Man keep my Saying, he fhall never tafte.of Death.
53. Art thou greater than our Father Abraham, which is dead? and the Prophets are dead: Whom makest thou thy felf?
54. Jefus anfwered, If I honour my felf, my Honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me, of whom ye fay that he is your God:
55. Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I fhould fay, I know him not, I fhall be a Lyar like unto you: But I know him, and keep his Saying.
56. Your Father Abraham rejoiced to fee my Day: and he faw it, and was glad.
57. Then faid the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty Years old, and haft thou seen Abraham?
58. Jefus faid unto them, Verily, verily I fay unto you, Before Abraham was, (d) I unto Mofes, I AM THAT I AM.
(d) Exod. iii. 14. And God faid
Ifai. xliii. 10. Ye are my Witneffes, faith the Lord, and my SerDd 2